Im starting to think these auto trans are junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This shudder is starting to **** me off. I tow my 10,000lb 5th wheel in tow haul and exhaust brake on. It shudders when I go up a slight hill in the road. The truck doesn't shift it just stay's in 6th. I had a Dodge mechanic ride along with me the other night while towing and he thinks there is nothing wrong it just too much for 6th gear to handle and said when it starts doing it shift down to 5th.

I just don't think I should have to do this, shouldn't it shift down on its own if it needs too. He also said no one else has complained of this happening. I did put a Smarty Jr. with delete pipe and I run it in tow mode could it be that? should I put everything back to stock?

Thanks for any advice you guys might have to offer. There's only 12,000 miles on her

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What time are you running? That could be it, I really don't have any experience with 68re but isn't tow haul mode supposed to keep it out of OD?

OP
OP
L

Longhauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I didn't change the timing setting so I'm guessing it is factory, but not positive.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If its like the T/H mode in my truck, no it does not keep you out of OD. It allows O/D but shift points are higher in RPM, and it downshifts to assist in descent control. OD Off is the only one that locks out O/D, but it also uses the modified shift points. I think I got the 46RE or something like thtat.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
i have a 2012 3500 and have pulled my 10000+ lb trailer up all kinds of hills without any shutter maybe its the tune? maybe remove the tune and retry? (i'm not to sure whats involved with the shorty (newb here lol)

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Have you attempted any other tunes while towing? Try towing on a different setting and see if the truck responds differently. If you can pinpoint a certain tune, or the tuner itself then it's not your trans fault.