DIY: C-Bar taillight retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Couple things...

Where/how would you power the switchbacks?

If you tap into the turn circuit you might still need resistors.

This is the debacle I came across....the tubes couldn't be seen very well with the tail bulbs constantly on.....so I disabled that with a lil modification to the bulb itself (which I don't suggest anyone do). Plus, I personally think it looks better with just the tubes on as running lights.

But yes, it would've been cool if the tubes worked as turns themselves.
So, I'm thinking with the original bulb still in place, the proper resistance will be in place so no need for resistors.

I think the tail is a 3 wire so I think a switchback could be wired up to flash when the turn signal is on with one color (probably white) and run with the other color (Amber because it should be dimmer through the red lens).

I could be wrong though. I actually bought 2 sets of the same lights you have in my haste, but I may end up not using them in favor of one set of switchbacks.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm guessing it's just some adapters just like the headlights. I went from quads to the OEM projectos
Maybe, a lot is dependent on model year. He can tell you and sell you.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I'm thinking with the original bulb still in place, the proper resistance will be in place so no need for resistors.

I think the tail is a 3 wire so I think a switchback could be wired up to flash when the turn signal is on with one color (probably white) and run with the other color (Amber because it should be dimmer through the red lens).

I could be wrong though. I actually bought 2 sets of the same lights you have in my haste, but I may end up not using them in favor of one set of switchbacks.

It sounds good in theory lol idk man. I guess you can try it....uncharted territory!

Im thinking it being LED and tied into the tail turn(the outside 3rd wire)it's still gonna throw a code. Again, idk.

I would definetly try the switchbacks and not the regular tubes if you are gonna go through with it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It sounds good in theory lol idk man. I guess you can try it....uncharted territory!

Im thinking it being LED and tied into the tail turn(the outside 3rd wire)it's still gonna throw a code. Again, idk.

I would definetly try the switchbacks and not the regular tubes if you are gonna go through with it.

I think I'm going to go for it. I had a question for you though. Do you think 45cm was the ideal length for your configuration? I'm up in the air on ordering a 45cm (and routing exactly as you did) or 60cm (roughly 6 inches longer) and trying to force it into the corners more. Any thoughts would be appreciated....

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm going to go for it. I had a question for you though. Do you think 45cm was the ideal length for your configuration? I'm up in the air on ordering a 45cm (and routing exactly as you did) or 60cm (roughly 6 inches longer) and trying to force it into the corners more. Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Honestly thinking about it now....the 30 probably woulda worked better. The lesser length woulda brought the side bend portion of the "C" in a little more. IMO

With that being said....there's no way you'll be able to close the lens and housing back together with the 60. You'll be cutting the tube somewhere. The 45 was a snug fit...almost perfect.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I see what you're saying...the tube would have possibly fit more inside/around the reflector bowl at 30m. Hmmm...

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

It shouldn't trip any codes for hyperflash with the stock bulb still in place.

But you are going to have the yellow switch back shine through the red lens? Wonder how that would look? lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It shouldn't trip any codes for hyperflash with the stock bulb still in place.

But you are going to have the yellow switch back shine through the red lens? Wonder how that would look? lol
Amber...and I'm thinking it will look dimmer and red like the incandescent. The white I'll use for turn because it should be brighter.

Of course I could be completely wrong and it won't work as expected...one thing I'm wondering about is what happens when you step on the brake? The incandescent gets brighter, what will a switchback do?

weeseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome job great write up

Membership Has Its Perks

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
....one thing I'm wondering about is what happens when you step on the brake? The incandescent gets brighter, what will a switchback do?

The incandescent should brighten like normal...the switchback SHOULDNT do anything. Mine don't.

BUT...

Yours are switchbacks and have two sets of LEDS running through them.....twill be interesting.

Are the brake and turn running through the same circuit?

Don't burn your truck down :happy107:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, I have mine mocked up with 30 inch amber/white switch backs. I'm using the switch back to see if I can get the vehicle to treat it like a normal incandescent break light bulb. The switchbacks come with a chip on a harness that will cut power to the white running light to amber turn signal on. I'm experimenting by deleting the chip so both can be powered at the same time from the factory harness and reversed (amber for running and white for brake/turn). Here's what it looks like behind the lens...

Hypothetical Running light (Amber)
IMG_1552.jpg

Hypothetical Brake/turn light (white)
IMG_1554.jpg

EDIT: By the way, Scotch tape works great for the mock up! I stand corrected... EDIT to edit: Don't use scotch tape! It removes the chrome!

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

EDIT 2: Instead of deleting the chip that turn one off and the other on, I'm just going to change the wires on the chip to give me the desired effect. This "should" work...

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It appears to have. I just switched the pins on the LED side to give me the lighting option I wanted. I won't be connecting it to my truck until Saturday or Sunday. 30cm Size was almost a perfect fit by the way. Thanks again!

I'll update once it's installed unless I have issues. Then I'll post the issues and pick some brains, but I think this setup will work, with no additional resistors and without throwing errors.

I do have one question you might know the answer to. Do you know which wire is which in the tail light harness? Of the 3, I'm only sure of ground and since I'll be using taps to get power I'd like to get it right the first time.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
30cm Size was almost a perfect fit by the way. Thanks again!

I do have one question you might know the answer to. Do you know which wire is which in the tail light harness? Of the 3, I'm only sure of ground and since I'll be using taps to get power I'd like to get it right the first time.

Sweet...figured the 30 would fit the best.

I don't have a pic of the harness but the middle wire is the taillight and the outside wire(non-ground)is the turn.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I used fishing wire to let the light through. We'll find out if it was a bad idea! I wrapped it around at each point several times so I don't think it's going anywhere. I also tied them together in the back for extra tension. The light transmits very well through the wire.

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

Edit: Notice the black mark on the right? Scotch tape took the chrome off! Use something else...

Last edited: