How long on a bad pinion bearing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Herd a slight noise coming from the rear end. Think a pinion or carrier bearing is going.

1st.Anyone have an idea of how long i have before i destroy the whole diff?

2nd. Anyone in the san diego area have experience with rebuilding a rear diff. Setting preload, backlash, pinion depth and all that. To give a guy a hand.

I did the fluids about a month ago, full cover removal. Gears look good. I think i just need a master install kit to replace the bearings. If anyone has a bit of insight please let me know. I understand this can be quite an undertaking but $300 in parts and fluids and a couple days of my time vs $1800 and four days for a shop... gotta do what i gotta do.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A pinion bearing job should be about half that. Before you do it yourself, because as I understand it you really have to know what you're doing to do it right, you might want to contact these guys...

Differential sales and service at J & S Gear Co. in Huntington Beach, CA

... They did my '04 about a year ago and I can't remember what they charged but I'm thinking it was right around $700 but I know it wasn't over $1000.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not in your area but I hvae had this work done by my dealer. it is about a $1200 job here. that said, I replaced my Diff bearings this week by my self with a little help. There are some specific tools you need such as the inch pound wrench and the threaded adjuster tool. my Local dealership printed off the procedure for setting both for me. if you havent done it yet, LMK and ill scan it.

when you are getting the pinion back in, you have to torwue the nut to 100 ft pounds I believe, and the bearing preload is only 25 inch pounds. once there, you then do the ring gear assembly. insert this cast iron baby in and hold it along with the bearings in with the caps. hand tighten them so it is floating in the housing. then you will tighten the threaded adjusters that you loosed to get the differntial out to align the ring. be sure you paint the teeth and check the wear pattern where the ring meets the pinion. make sure it is proper and in the middle of the teeth and not hitting the outer edge or inner edge. and not too deep either. if you need to bring it out or in, you adjust its left to right movement with these adjusters. once set, check lash to be .001 to .003 inches. then torque the adjusters down to 75 foot pounds. torque the cap bolts to 100 foot pounds each and then add the bolts with the threaded adapter locking clips. then axels back in and button her up.

Good videos of a guy working on the 9.25 corporate off a Gen 3 on youtube. I watched them and did all but the pinion gear.

DONT WAIT. if you hear that RRRRr noise from the pinion bearing, you risk it failing and then gear teeth being broken. Ive hear that noise and now also my differential bearing noise they sounded very different.