Seeking suggestions on knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patrol Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Whats up people. 98 Ram 5.9 213k miles and change. Old girl has decided she has had enough, but the amount of work I have already done to it, I ain't ready to let her go. Oil pump, water pump, radiator, fuel pump, distributor, about four different sensors, just to name a few. Now she has developed a wicked knock. seems to be coming from left bank and I can feel an actual tap on the valve cover of that side. Figured stuck lifter, but all rockers tight. Disconnected ignition and had wife turn it over. Could not isolate. Started thinking spun rod, but not sure. Light but clear at idle, much louder under load and insanely loud when coming down from rev. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Have my eye on a crate motor but not excited about dropping $2,000 right now.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not being able to hear the engine run I can only guess but the way you are describing it, it does sound like a rod bearing. Or it could be a wrist pin in the piston but either way it's a rebuild job. And I don't know if you can rebuild cheaper than 2,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Patrol Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well that sucks. Looks like I'm buying a crate motor. If I'm gonna put in the time and effort of pulling the motor I'm not putting the old one back in. Thanks for the reply.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well just saying even if you rebuilt your old engine it would probably cost you more in money and your time than buying a crate engine with a warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk