Transmission fluid change.. best way to do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious what the best way is to do a transmission fluid change. I've never been a fan of that flushing technique, I've always just done it myself by dropping the pan, replacing the filters and refilling. I realize you're only going to get about half the fluid out this way but, I've just heard to many horror stories of flushing.

What say y'all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I say take it in to a reputable shop that does that sort of thing. Like you said, it's not really a flush doing it yourself.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say take it in to a reputable shop that does that sort of thing. Like you said, it's not really a flush doing it yourself.

Well, I wasn't really saying I wanted it flushed. Lol. As I said, I've always just dropped the pan, replaced the filters and refilled. I've never had an issue doing it that way. I'm just curious what you all do when it comes time for a tranny service.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ah. In that case, i used to do that myself as well. Now I just take it in to Jiffy Lube. They've done my fluid work since I lost the inclination. It's. It so much the wrenching that I don't like, it's having to dispose of the used oil and filters. Don't have an oil drip shop stove anymore. Lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you have them do, the same as I have done in my driveway or do you have them do the actual flush?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say do it yourself , drop pan , install new filters then install a reputable pan with a magnetic drain plug .
This way you could just drain the pan through the plug a couple times after 3 to 500 miles then you'll have mostly new fluid , then just drain & refill at say 20k or so to keep mostly fresh fluid in at all times .

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say do it yourself , drop pan , install new filters then install a reputable pan with a magnetic drain plug .
I sure wish they'd put a drain plug in the pan...lol.
This way you could just drain the pan through the plug a couple times after 3 to 500 miles then you'll have mostly new fluid , then just drain & refill at say 20k or so to keep mostly fresh fluid in at all times .

That's a helluvan idea, tho. I did read somewhere on the net that somebody similarly did that. They just dropped the pan each time, tho.

But yes, I'll have to look into a new pan with a drainplug if they ain't too terribly expensive. But I did see somewhere a long time ago about a drain plug kit for a stock pan.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Drain plug kits are cheep & an easy DIY install , but prone to leaking .
Mag - Hytech is a great pan & Dorman is a less expensive option .

I plan to drain & refill @ 20 k intervals once I install my new pan .

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd love to have that one from Mag Hyteck but dang, nearly three hundred bucks for a tranny pan is expensive!...lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But then again so are transmissions...lol.

I wondered about the DIY plug kits.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents :O For me I'll take it to a shop to do.. No more crawling under a truck anymore for this old fart lol , As for Flushing a Tranny from what I have heard and read there are pros and cons. Usually ok for newer transmissions BUT on some older Transmissions it may cause more harm then good , if a flushing was never done before. Can not remember the reasons. I do like the idea of draining the oil, run a few hundred miles and drain the fluid again

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents :O For me I'll take it to a shop to do.. No more crawling under a truck anymore for this old fart lol , As for Flushing a Tranny from what I have heard and read there are pros and cons. Usually ok for newer transmissions BUT on some older Transmissions it may cause more harm then good , if a flushing was never done before. Can not remember the reasons.
I take it you have yours flushed?

I've never done that and don't think I ever want to. But yeah, I hear ya, even bein at 40, crawling under the truck gets harder and harder as time goes by...lol.

I do like the idea of draining the oil, run a few hundred miles and drain the fluid again

Yeah, I never thought of that on the little Dakota I once had. I only changed the fluid in it a couple of times with probly 40 or 50k miles in between.

Doorman has a little cheaper option of aftermarket pan with a built-in plug so, I'm really looking into that route. I may even go with the more expensive one anyway since I have my computer retuned with a Diablo Sport tuner that firms up the shifts.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I take it you have yours flushed?

I've never done that and don't think I ever want to. But yeah, I hear ya, even bein at 40, crawling under the truck gets harder and harder as time goes by...lol.

Yeah, I never thought of that on the little Dakota I once had. I only changed the fluid in it a couple of times with probly 40 or 50k miles in between.

Doorman has a little cheaper option of aftermarket pan with a built-in plug so, I'm really looking into that route. I may even go with the more expensive one anyway since I have my computer retuned with a Diablo Sport tuner that firms up the shifts.

I never had a transmission flushed, Just a regular change! I have heard horror stories from some that had older cars done. plus alot of good but that is mainly on new.. In my opinion as long as you have not burned out the tranny no need for a flush. just regular change

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
take it to a good shop with a trans flush machine.
that way you get ALL the fluid out. even the fluid in the converter.
i took my 86 chevy th400 blazer and had the thing flushed at 86,000 miles. ( recent purchase )

it drives like a dream now.

couple buddies do the 5 gallon bucket transmission line trick, but why not just pay for a trans flush and not get fluid all over everywhere.

cheers comrades!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you change your fluid on a regular basis a flush is a waste of money. spend that money on a Mag Hytec pan and Redline Oil.

Flushes are evil and can really mess up a perfectly good trans.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you change your fluid on a regular basis a flush is a waste of money. spend that money on a Mag Hytec pan and Redline Oil.

Flushes are evil and can really mess up a perfectly good trans.

I've yet to change my transmission fluid. Truck was only four years old when I bought it and it only had 22k mikes on it so, I doubt it's ever been changed.

As soon as I get home this evening to see what the fluid change interval is and what transmission I have, I'll go from there but since I've never done any type of service to it except adding about half a quart to it long time ago, you think that oughtta warrant a flush? Truck is 8 years old with now a little over 60k. Transmission is fine to my knowledge. Doesn't slip, doesn't leak, doesn't overheat, works just how it's supposed to. Haven't checked the fluid level in a while but the last time I checked it the fluid was still nice and red with just a hint of a black tinge, normal I suppose. She's been driven a little hard but she's only pulled two trailers and that was it. Just normal usage.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, what's y'alls opinion on tranny fluid additives? I've never used them but, the only reason im asking is because now that the truck has been tuned from a diablo sport tuner, the tranny shifts a lot firmer than before. I do plan to use Mobil One full synthetic tranny fluid but, just curious if there's an additive that works and does any good.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The two bucket method is the safest way to flush a trans IMO. You're using the trans pump to do the work and it's not forcing fluid in from an external source. Seems like a more "natural" way to exchange the fluid.

Or like others have said do drain and fills more often and get the "flush" that way.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two bucket method is the safest way to flush a trans IMO. You're using the trans pump to do the work and it's not forcing fluid in from an external source. Seems like a more "natural" way to exchange the fluid.
Hmm, makes sense. I was kind of wondering what they meant about the bucket method to flush.

Or like others have said do drain and fills more often and get the "flush" that way.

I think I'm just gonna go this route. Get me a new pan with a drain plug. I'll have to think about that 280 dollar one. Lol. Drop what fluid is in the pan every 20k and on the forth or fifth change or however it works out, slap new filters in.