Truck caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davetha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was wondering if anyone here has a truck cap on their ram? I was thinking about possibly getting one so I can put the dogs in the back and putting tools in the back.

What kind would you guys recommend?

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ARE or LEER are the most popular. I like my LEER. Haven't had any problems yet.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump for ya. I agree, ARE and LEER are very nice caps. I had an ARE tonneau on my 05 and was very happy with it.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i also agree with the above.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have owned both Leer and ARE. My next cap will be a Leer.

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
If I were to get one it would be leer. Only heard good things about them.

OP
OP
D

davetha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The only thing stopping me from getting one is my fiancee. She thinks they are for old people, and if I wanted a cap I should have got a yukon or something lol.

I see many reasons for getting one.. I can put all my off road gear in there while towing my rig. I could sleep in there if I go camping. Keep the tools in there etc..

I'll see if I can find a decent reseller of Leer and ARE in the Houston area.

Do they seem to cause much sag with the coil suspension? I wouldn't think it would that much, but just wondering.

Stagman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a JASON cap on a 2011 and talked to the owner a bit. They loved it. The fron window had an option to completely fold in to the cap for cleaning. I did some research on line for them and there are not many dealers in my area.

My wife is like Davetha's finacee things it just makes it look like a big SUV. But with our dogs and all the crap we take back and forth to the camper I think I would like having it. Nothing wrong with my Truxedo tonneau, but just getting lazy with rolling and unrolling.

I've attached pic from the JASON site of a topper on a truck like mine. what ya think?

Attachments

• CyberGray09DodgeProf.jpg
    CyberGray09DodgeProf.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 5,826

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do they seem to cause much sag with the coil suspension? I wouldn't think it would that much, but just wondering.

I don't remember the exact weight but I can pick mine up by myself. I'd be surprised if it was even near 100lbs. The truck won't even know it's there.

My LEER:

DSC_0252.jpg

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The only thing stopping me from getting one is my fiancee. She thinks they are for old people, and if I wanted a cap I should have got a yukon or something lol.

I see many reasons for getting one.. I can put all my off road gear in there while towing my rig. I could sleep in there if I go camping. Keep the tools in there etc..

I'll see if I can find a decent reseller of Leer and ARE in the Houston area.

I didn't know my wife had a sister. EXACT same argument I get from her.

OP
OP
D

davetha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I saw a JASON cap on a 2011 and talked to the owner a bit. They loved it. The fron window had an option to completely fold in to the cap for cleaning. I did some research on line for them and there are not many dealers in my area.

My wife is like Davetha's finacee things it just makes it look like a big SUV. But with our dogs and all the crap we take back and forth to the camper I think I would like having it. Nothing wrong with my Truxedo tonneau, but just getting lazy with rolling and unrolling.

I've attached pic from the JASON site of a topper on a truck like mine. what ya think?

I think it looks pretty good. You could sleep in the back of it if you went camping too!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sleep in back if she kicks you out. Your truck your choice.

$miley

jwilliams82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the leer 100xq looks the best on 4th gens. I plan to get one.

Burton12387

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am also currently in the market for one. I have been trying to find one used but am not having much luck, the new ones seem crazy expensive.

Though i guess i did pay around $1k for my leer bed cap, looking to get rid of it and replace it with the full sized cap.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My only complaint with most campers is the ****-looking framed windows.
I'm a fan of SnugTop / Leer because they offer a surface mount window option.

It actually looks decent on a modern truck. An 88 Chevy PU, sure a framed window is fitting. But a 2013 truck? Come on now.

I was also looking at the Leers. I like their 'high rise' model, but I don't know that I'd be able to fit into parking garages if I was 3" taller! I want it with the thought of mounting an LED light bar across the front of it.

jjc155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wondering if anyone here has a truck cap on their ram? I was thinking about possibly getting one so I can put the dogs in the back and putting tools in the back.

What kind would you guys recommend?

I have a LEER on my 14 and love it. I sleep under it while fly fishing and it allows me to store my fishing stuff in the truck instead of moving it in and out every time i head out.

J-

Resqman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2000 Dakota had an ARE cap. Loved it. Spent a few nights in the back. Opened the slider window to the cab to let in ventilation. Bedrug added padding. Pleasant evening. 240,000 miles and 14 years on the cap. Had to replace the window struts twice once they stopped holding the windows open.

2014 1500 CCSB with ARE cap. Both caps were lined and had/have side opening windows. New ARE caps come with fold down rear window between cap and cab to allow window cleaning. I had an LED light added. With Bedrug, it is fully carpeted. No noise or rattling from items riding in bed. Items in bed are not beat up due to padded bedrug and cap liner.

I wanted the side opening windows so could easily get to items at far end of bed without having to climb in the bed. That option makes the windows less sleek looking but more functional. Extra several hunderd $ but worth it for me. Use the windows all the time. I leave the slider window in the cap open year round. Even while in car washes. Maybe a few drips get in but nothing noticable. Helps to vent the space and keep it a tad cooler.

I spent the afternoon getting my cap order just right the day before I bought my truck. Called the cap dealer as I was driving off the dealers lot. Takes about 4 weeks for them to build and color match.

I have tools and equipment that stay in my truck for work. Cap and tailgate are locked with tinted windows. Battery operated tools are protected from weather and causal theft.

Truck with cap is better than SUV. Noise, mess, smell or whatever else from stuff being hauled is seperate from passenger compartmart. With sliding rear window, smaller items can be retrieved from bed if planned ahead. On trips, put the snacks and drink cooler at end of bed near cab. Kids open the slider and get stuff from the bed but still have plenty of room in the cab for all their other stuff.

Caps weigh between 150 and 185 lbs. depending on options, ie: folding windows, carpet liner, lighting, roof racks, etc. Takes 2-4 people to put in place or remove. Not due to the weight but because it is bulky. ARE makes their own special aluminum clamps that are basically just fancy C-clamps to secure the cap to the truck bed.

Anytime you have to haul something larger than fits in the cap, take it off and set aside. Takes about 10 minutes to take off or put on.

Attachments

• 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 618
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 725
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 198

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I would have a Leer right now except I don't think my motorcycle would fit and I don't want a rise one. Anybody try fitting a sportbike under one?

PicRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Asked the same question here a little while back. Thanks to guys for the help and pics, I just ordered a Leer 100XQ for my sport. I'll use it to sleep so those windows will allow me to keep them open for air even if it's raining. Two weeks and it will be here to be installed. Added roof racks for my canoe and other stuff.

For Crescent - measurements for me suggest it could be done (I might have to remove the windscreen) but it would be awkward as hell to get it in and tied down. I'll use the bed and cap for sleeping and other stuff and keep the bike in my trailer.

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
Asked the same question here a little while back. Thanks to guys for the help and pics, I just ordered a Leer 100XQ for my sport. I'll use it to sleep so those windows will allow me to keep them open for air even if it's raining. Two weeks and it will be here to be installed. Added roof racks for my canoe and other stuff.

For Crescent - measurements for me suggest it could be done (I might have to remove the windscreen) but it would be awkward as hell to get it in and tied down. I'll use the bed and cap for sleeping and other stuff and keep the bike in my trailer.

If it fits with the windscreen off then I will be buying one. With loading the bike I could undo the clamps and use some thing to lift it a couple of feet. I wonder if anyone has ever put a shock system like on the hood for one of these? Probably won't work due to front hitting the cab. I may need to get some measurements.