04 2500 Hemi Performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big black dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey all, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab. Its in very good shape but has 194k on it. They guy before me put 35's on it and it feels a bit sluggish. I want to get a little boost to overcome this and maybe a bit better fuel economy. Thinking I want to spend $1000 -$1500. I am thinking about:

1. Exhaust trying to decide on short tube headers, long tube headers, or factory manifolds. Trying to figure out if I need to replace cats with high flows or no cats. Don't want to spend a ton here, just want to open it up some. I am thinking 40 series flow master out the side. Will it sound the same with dual outlet muffler vs true duals?

2. CAI - thinking Vararam

3. Tuner (not sure yet which one is best for my application

4. Thermostat, does this make any noticeable difference?

5. Throttle body, any noticeable difference here

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me personally I'd go with a set of pacesetter long tubes with the off-road ypipe. After that for an 04 I'd go with a volant or s&b intake. I have a volant and I love it. And then after those 2 get a superchips tuner. Mine boosted my mileage by over 3mpg on a 91 performance tune and the shift changes and everything really help

Sent from the rocket in my pocket

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And a 180 degree thermostat might make a little difference, same with the throttle body. I'd go with intake exhaust and tuner first. Also with 35" tires I would regear to 4:56 and that would make a big difference. You could get an aftermarket stall too. A comp 260 cam. These would all help too. The list goes on and on. Modding is an addiction... Have fun and any questions just ask

Sent from the rocket in my pocket

OP
OP
B

Big black dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
does pace setter offer a long tube for 04 2500 4x4? Are the 1500 and 2500 trucks different enough that the headers are not interchangeable?

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For about $600 a Diablo T1000 will give you immediately noticeable performance difference.

If you buy it from "moes performance" - this will come with a FREE HemiFever tune.

Empty your tank, fill it with 91 or 93 and set the T1000 tune to the grade of gas your bought.

Following his instructions, do a diagnosis run and send him your data log.
He will send you the HF tune which includes a tranny tune.

You won't be disappointed.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would start with gears, that's where you'll get the best bang for the buck. Then I would look at a programmer and then exhaust.

OP
OP
B

Big black dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I spoke to a guy at Moes, he was very helpful. For an 04 2500 4x4 he suggested not doing headers since the only long tube option is $1500. He suggested the shorties are not enough gain for the cost. So I guess I will just replace the manifolds with manifolds.

As far as the exhaust he suggested two into one muffler with dual outlets, no cats. I want to dump the exhaust out the side in front of rear tire on passenger side

He also suggested that since the truck is heavy the CAI ill not give much either.

He did recommend the diablo tuner and gears as the biggest gains, however I am thinking gears will hurt my mileage more than helping it.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Not necessarily, think of it like this. The drive shaft was only turning so many times with your stock tires, now with bigger tires its having to turn more times to make the same distance. Now if you go with a higher gear, say from a 3.55 to a 4.10, it'll help the engine work less causing less effort to turn them tires and put you back close to your stock ratio.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gears will be your best bet. Those tires are killing you on the stock gears. Check to see what gears you have now. And that will help decide what you need to switch to

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I think doing both the gears and tuner and staying on budget is a good option. Another thing to consider is at 194K miles the internal components might be wearing out. Cam swap, valve job and new head gaskets might be a possibility.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spoke to a guy at Moes, he was very helpful. For an 04 2500 4x4 he suggested not doing headers since the only long tube option is $1500. He suggested the shorties are not enough gain for the cost. So I guess I will just replace the manifolds with manifolds.

As far as the exhaust he suggested two into one muffler with dual outlets, no cats. I want to dump the exhaust out the side in front of rear tire on passenger side

He also suggested that since the truck is heavy the CAI ill not give much either.

He did recommend the diablo tuner and gears as the biggest gains, however I am thinking gears will hurt my mileage more than helping it.
Your thinking and my personal experience are not congruent.

I ran 34" tires on my '00 Ram 1500 (on heavy cheap 20" wheels).
With factory 3.55s I was barely seeing 13MPG.
With 4.56s I was normally getting 15 and on the open road I'd tickle 16-17.

The Hemi is a motor that likes to rev moreso than the 360 I had, so I'd imagine the impact would be even better!