14 Hemi 5.7 Cooling Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McGeezy83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So just to set this all up, I have searched through most threads about this issue and only one really had feedback about a solution. Hoping I'll jog someones memory to find a solution.

My truck has normally run with a coolant temp of about 220. I had my water pump, upper and lower hoses, and t-stat replaced in january. This week when taking my son to high school in the morning my temps started to climb to about 230 and then back down to 215-220. Well today I got on the highway to go down to UVA (I live halfway between DC and Baltimore) and the temps jumped to 245. Pulled over, turn off the engine. After 15ish minutes I'm back down to 220. Head down the highway, 5 min later back up around 240.

Flushed the system today, replaced with correct coolant. Take it for a ride in the back roads (40mph tops) back up to 240. Get home and back on the ramps. Try to burp the system (reving at 2k with the cap off) I overflow the rad.

I know the t-stats can go bad on a whim. Does this sound like a stuck stat to you all? The fans are running, again water pump/ t-stat was replaced in january (10 month run time). I'm tempted to just go buy a new stat and replace to see what happens.

Thanks for everyones help!

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thermostat is probly the easiest fix, and a fairly cheap one at that. If you get a new one, test it in boiling water before installing.

OP
OP
M

McGeezy83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rzr6-4, really test before you put it in? Interesting

Indept, I thought about that too. At startup they are open. Moved with my hand and the actuator closes so I think it's still good.

Update: top hose is hot, bottom hose is warm. Seems like I have flow but maybe not good flow. Maybe there is bad flow through the radiator. I don't have the tools to test. Starting to question the radiator.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Rzr6-4, really test before you put it in? Interesting

Indept, I thought about that too. At startup they are open. Moved with my hand and the actuator closes so I think it's still good.

Update: top hose is hot, bottom hose is warm. Seems like I have flow but maybe not good flow. Maybe there is bad flow through the radiator. I don't have the tools to test. Starting to question the radiator.
These days the odds of getting a good thermostat are questionable.I've had more bad new thermostats then good lately.Throw it in a pot of water and use a meat themometer to monitor the temp where you're new thermostat starts to open,as the water gets hot

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, try getting a hold of a digital laser temperature meter and verify the temp at the sender is same as digital. The temp sender may be on it's way out, too, giving a false reading.

Last edited:

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I removed my grill shutters the other day, just left the upper and lower ones. Was getting temp spikes up to 220 deg going up hill before, now temp is stable between 198-204 deg, no spikes when under heavy loads. were staying closed even when up to temp.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can BURP the cooling system, with the engine Cold !!
There are 2 places that you can do it from, both places are the highest points in the system

This guy really knows his Rams

#1 is the preferred method

#2 ) is the Optional Method

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357