18” wheels 17” spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my wheels are 18” and spare is 17”. Would it be any issues or damage if i had to use the spare?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my wheels are 18” and spare is 17”. Would it be any issues or damage if i had to use the spare?

Provided the wheel circumference and bolt patterns match, no problem. There are many online calculators.

AFAIK, most 17" rims have a 5-bolt pattern (usually on gen 4) and most 18" have a 6-bolt pattern (usually on gen 5).

I've heard of exceptions to the norm but haven't seen any myself.

Screenshot_20230611-010559_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Provided the wheel circumference and bolt patterns match, no problem. There are many online calculators.

AFAIK, most 17" rims have a 5-bolt pattern (usually on gen 4) and most 18" have a 6-bolt pattern (usually on gen 5).

I've heard of exceptions to the norm but haven't seen any myself.

View attachment 522819
Both have the same bolt pattern. it’’s about 1.5” difference between the two based off those tire calculators. That wouldn’t cause any damage?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If that is what ram put on it, use it. If it is a different wheel and tire than what came with the truck off the assembly line, then you might want to change it back.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won't damage anything. The wheels turning at different speeds is no different than driving on a curve.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i still run the spare my truck was born with. Oem wheels were 17” with 265/70’s. I am on 35’s now, so about 4” in diameter difference. My plan was to use that spare on the front, even if it meant double the work. I also run with a compressor and a plug kit.
I do not hardcore offroad…
Am I wrong thinking the front with 4wd disengaged is safe for limited distance?

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that is what ram put on it, use it. If it is a different wheel and tire than what came with the truck off the assembly line, then you might want to change it back.
It’s factory. But i changed to aftermarket wheels.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wheel size doesn't matter. The overall diameter of the TIRE is what needs to match.
So, If the 4 18" wheel tires measure to be 31.5" then the spare needs to be 31.5".
so it would be an issue running what I currently have then because they’re not matched up in that aspect.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i still run the spare my truck was born with. Oem wheels were 17” with 265/70’s. I am on 35’s now, so about 4” in diameter difference. My plan was to use that spare on the front, even if it meant double the work. I also run with a compressor and a plug kit.
I do not hardcore offroad…
Am I wrong thinking the front with 4wd disengaged is safe for limited distance?
This is exactly what my concern is.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The main concern at any distance, is on the rear axle with anything other than an open differential. If you have an open differential it won't hurt anything short term to get home.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is exactly what my concern is.
So the front is an open diff. The 4wd actuator engages/disengages the CV axles to receive the T-cases power. The front driveshaft isn’t engaged in 2wd mode. With this logic, having mismatched front tires will not affect the drivetrain.
Yes, yes, alignment and handling etc, but were talking about emergency use. Pretty confident given my set-up is very capable in 2wd.
Someone correct me if my logic is flawed please.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I think it would be fine. I checked mine a few months back. I have 20" wheels on my 2500. The spare is 18". I'm not sure how close the tires were in size when there was no wear, but the spare is almost 1.5 or 2" taller than my 4 tires on the truck due to wear on them. I assume the manufacturers know there will be wear on actual tires used vs the spare. Not sure how much of a difference would be too much though.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the front is an open diff. The 4wd actuator engages/disengages the CV axles to receive the T-cases power. The front driveshaft isn’t engaged in 2wd mode. With this logic, having mismatched front tires will not affect the drivetrain.
Yes, yes, alignment and handling etc, but were talking about emergency use. Pretty confident given my set-up is very capable in 2wd.
Someone correct me if my logic is flawed please.
I’m thinking that same logic as well. So in an event i needed the spare, keep it on the front.