1999 Dakota Help getting it working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my kid a Dakota and I got burned. I bought it from up north and talked to the guy several times and he told me it was a street truck they took to the track a couple times. Told me it was great driving on the street and had a forged crank and a good cam. That was it. It got here and this thing is not a street truck. It is a fully built race truck with a two stage nitrous setup and a MSD 6 running things. It looks and sounds mean.

The problems I have is it is running really rich(no doubt for the nitrous) with a 17A/F and it will not shift out of first. I live in Terrell, Tx which is 35 miles east of Dallas. Can someone give me some names of someone that can fix the tune and more than likely rebuild the trans? I got one quote of $1k just to start tuning it and I don't have that. This was for my son and I don't have a lot of cash to fix it. Wasn't expecting to have to do so.

OP
OP
Mike Townsend

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, not much help here I guess. I do have some new info if anybody cares. I took the battery out to charge it. When I put it back in the factory security went off. I took it around the block and the gauges went nuts. would go dead then peg out to the point it broke the speedo cable. But it did shift. So now the gauges are dead but it is shifting and the A/F ratio has come down to 14.8. still high but not near as high as it was. SO, I guess I need to find someone that can figure out how to get the MSD working correctly

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would call Baily's Performance in Fort Worth. They are about 5 minutes from me. They deal in all things Mopar performance.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi