2002 front drive shaft cv joint rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutchram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, The CV Joint on the rear end of my front drive shaft needs to be replaced. I've searched for info on rebuilding it my self but haven't come up with much of anything. I have found rebuild kits online that range from 100-180. If this is possible I would much rather do it than spend 350+ for a reman shaft. Have any of you done this?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are unwilling to do the work yourself, any local truck driveshaft shop can rebuild it for you. They can fully rebuild it and balance it while they are at it. If you bring it to them the price will be not so bad.

OP
OP
H

Hutchram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am all about doing it myself. I've been looking for a diy post or video. I'm not sure if it requires any specialty tools or what all is involved. I've talked to all the reputable drive shaft shops in my area and only 1 will rebuild my type of shaft and the cost is close to a reman. A few other shops make custom shafts that convert the shaft to u joints on both ends. I was impressed with this at first untill I read several reviews about transfer case issues with converting to a double u joint shaft. I'm not sure what the issue is there since most trucks come with u joint style shafts. To be honest, I didn't know a drive shaft with a cv joint even existed.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know it isn't what you asked but in the past I had one built for roughly the same cost as a direct replacement with u-joints front and rear. I highly suggest going this route if you plan to keep the truck as those CV style joints don't hold up well to heavy vehicles if you use 4X4 much.