2007 4.7 random missing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry if this has been addressed before, I found one thread months ago that was similar but could not find it.
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 engine that was a replacement for one that was blown. The only mods are lowered 2/4" with SRT10 rims and magnaflow exhaust.
A few months ago it started randomly missing. It runs fine in the morning but later on in the afternoon it will start missing and running sluggish. If I get it up to 55 or more it doesn't do it as bad. It also idles rough too. I thought it was temperature related but it has done it when in the 40s and 50s. This morning it was 70 degrees and ran like a champ. The only code I get is multiple misfires (no **** Sherlock). I had my mechanic put his code reader on it and it said it was missing on all cylinders. He recently had it for a week and it was a head scratcher for him too until one of his mechanics remembered a car, different make, that was doing the same and it ended up being a bad alternator that had bad diodes sending out emf waves affecting the injectors or PCM so they disconnected the alternator and low and behold it stopped missing. They took it for test drive and it did not miss, plugged it back in when they got back and started missing again so they replaced the alternator and it ran fine...until the day I picked it up and it started missing again.
So WTF!?! Does anyone know of this problem? Another thing they did was change out the cam shaft position sensor which of course didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated as I spent over a grand so far which included other work, U-joint replacement, water pump and thermostat housing and timing chain gasket.

Thanks,

Ayesijuan

OP
OP
ayesijuan

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, found the problem finally! After having one of my mechanics try chasing it and replacing the alternator (they thought the old one was sending out electronic signals messing with the coils) and other parts and spending over $800 I had my other mechanic check it after he told me to buy some good NGK platinum plugs even though I had it tuned up 2 years ago. So he checked the coils and they were good then replaced all of the plugs even though they looked good and low and behold it runs like a champ now! The problem? Don't put cheap ass Champion plugs in, spend the money and get good plugs.