2008 Ram 1500 3.7 Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

majormajor0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 Magnum
I have a 2008 2008 Ram 1500, 3.7, 6 speed.

I am getting ready to replace the engine with a re-manufactured one, probably from Powertrain Company.
I'm going to be replacing the clutch at the same time.

I wanted to get anybody's take on what parts I might not want to reuse, e.g., might be getting ready to fail at 200k miles, or anything else to buy or look out for before I start pulling it apart.

Any thoughts are much-appreciated in advance.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whats wrong with your current 3.7? besides 200k If the timinmg chains and lifters are changed both easy jobs they tend to run a long time.

OP
OP
M

majormajor0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 Magnum
jws123,

Blown head gasket for the second time. The last time I got 3 years out of it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
jws123,

Blown head gasket for the second time. The last time I got 3 years out of it.
Did you overheat it alot? coolant in oil ? Not common tbh unless its overheated have worked on tons of 3.7/4.7s. Also alot of people mistake a little white smoke when engines hot for valve stem seals notorious on these engines it never rly never looks blue.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2008 2008 Ram 1500, 3.7, 6 speed.

I am getting ready to replace the engine with a re-manufactured one, probably from Powertrain Company.
I'm going to be replacing the clutch at the same time.

I wanted to get anybody's take on what parts I might not want to reuse, e.g., might be getting ready to fail at 200k miles, or anything else to buy or look out for before I start pulling it apart.

Any thoughts are much-appreciated in advance.
Check the front engine cover in the area inside where the thermostat resides. Look for pitting.... no good if it has heavy pitting.

OP
OP
M

majormajor0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 Magnum
Thanks to everybody here. Now that it's done, let me add some lessons learned for posterity.

-Do not disconnect the AC or power steering
-Do not break clutch the *****/master cylinder hydraulics. If you have to remove the transmission, pull the ***** cylinder off and leave it dangle from the line
-The factory service manual and parts manual are online, and they are invaluable. Find them before you start. You have may to get into page 5 or 10 of a google search, but they are on there
-Do this on level ground, and do it somewhere where nobody can demand you move it