2011 Stuck in 4th gear / no overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basscyn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Afternoon fellas. Ran into a little problem could use some advice. Driving along, noticed my Check Engine light and my Traction Control light on. Then realized I wasn’t coming out of 4th gear. It would not go into overdrive. So I stopped, turned the engine off for a few minutes to reset…everything was fine for a mile or 2 then lights back on , no overdrive. Runs from a stopped position 1st through 4th gears smoothly but wont come out of 4th gear. I also noticed that I was nearly 2 qts low on oil. I topped it off and the overdrive issue magically went away .

Is this a coincidence…or should I prepare myself for a deeper transmission issue..

Check engine light is off now, but I had the code pulled. All that shows is Crank Angle Sensor.

I’m 2 weeks from towing a trailer 600 miles to Biketoberfest. Scared to death I’m going to have trouble.

Any guidance appreciated.

2011 1500 4wd

133k Miles (Yes, I’ve sold my kidney to cover the lifter/top end rebuild last year at 125k)

I love this truck…and I hate it. :)

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your trans fluid was that low you must have a leak so look for that normally the rubber line/fitting that goes to trans cooler in front leaks. Also sounds like you are probably due for a filter/fluid change if you have never done it before.

OP
OP
Basscyn

Basscyn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its actually the engine oil that was low. Transmission was serviced filter/fluid about 10k miles ago

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its actually the engine oil that was low. Transmission was serviced filter/fluid about 10k miles ago
And you checked the trans fluid when its hot? on level ground also I forget has to be in park or N cant remember regardless its probably something stupid low fluid or to much will make it act funny these trannys are pre good I have 220k on my 2011 orig eng and trans.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Stuck in 4th means limp mode. I would drop the pan and see if the filter has come loose and sitting in the pan. Been known to happen. If this isn't the issue I would have shop check everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37