2017 2500 6.4 one click wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mburkett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 power wagon. Went through a decent sized puddle in the road (I do not have fender liners in) and continued driving as usual and when I got home turned the truck off and everything is good. Came back outside 2-3hrs later and went to go start it and lights came on, horn works, mirrors everything works but then I pressed the button and then heard one click and no crank. Truck stayed on but just made one click and then when I press it again without brakes it clicks once and turns off. Took starter off and had it tested, it’s good. Replaced the battery, Replaced the starter solenoid relay, and replaced the starter fuse. Now it doesn’t click at all it just won’t start. The radio turns off and then comes back on, I have big subs under my rear bench and they hit once whenever I try to start it. Any ideas?
(Also the brake light is there because I pressed my parking break and then released it but light is still there)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 9

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 power wagon. Went through a decent sized puddle in the road (I do not have fender liners in) and continued driving as usual and when I got home turned the truck off and everything is good. Came back outside 2-3hrs later and went to go start it and lights came on, horn works, mirrors everything works but then I pressed the button and then heard one click and no crank. Truck stayed on but just made one click and then when I press it again without brakes it clicks once and turns off. Took starter off and had it tested, it’s good. Replaced the battery, Replaced the starter solenoid relay, and replaced the starter fuse. Now it doesn’t click at all it just won’t start. The radio turns off and then comes back on, I have big subs under my rear bench and they hit once whenever I try to start it. Any ideas?
(Also the brake light is there because I pressed my parking break and then released it but light is still there)

Hello Mburkett,

Our team is truly sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing. We're here to support you. Please kindly schedule a visit to your local dealer for a inspection into your cocnerns. https://www.ramtrucks.com/find-dealer.html

Naudia
Ram Cares

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may have soaked your ECM on the 1500 it's on the driver's side on your power Wagon on the passenger side, I would start drying everything under the hood W/ compressed air (not at full blast) and take it from there.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, also possible the Battery has just gone to toast. Shows lights on, but when under start load, nada. Besides suggestion in post #3, U may need another battery, just saying. U have a 2017 and possibly original battery. The OEM batteries are not doing much more than 4 years these days.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree with drying out the ecm. Could have splashed enough water to reach up to it.

OP
OP
M

Mburkett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, also possible the Battery has just gone to toast. Shows lights on, but when under start load, nada. Besides suggestion in post #3, U may need another battery, just saying. U have a 2017 and possibly original battery. The OEM batteries are not doing much more than 4 years these days.
The first thing I did was try jumping it and it didn’t work so I replaced the battery which didn’t solve the issue.

OP
OP
M

Mburkett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree with drying out the ecm. Could have splashed enough water to reach up to it.
I thought you could take these trucks in more than a foot of water? As long as you have a snorkel they should be good right?

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sometimes it could be as simple as a bad ground. Check all of them before buying all that stuff

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check your air filter for water, possible hydolock ?

OP
OP
M

Mburkett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
UPDATE
Got her fixed. Bought a new starter (with solenoid) despite oreilys and AutoZone testing reports saying it was still good. Started right up and haven’t had issues over the past week.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
UPDATE
Got her fixed. Bought a new starter (with solenoid) despite oreilys and AutoZone testing reports saying it was still good. Started right up and haven’t had issues over the past week.
good to hear ! what made you go and replace them!? just wondering