2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman won't move in 4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trashman5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I put it in 4 wheel drive from a dead stop something locks right up and the truck won't move. Put it back in 2wd and all is good. Where should I start looking for the problem? I've been told transfer case is shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So maybe try thinking it through. What changes when you engage 4x4. You push power through the transfer case to the front driveshaft. That engages the front axles to rotate the front tires. Disconnect front driveshaft, engage 4x4. What happens. If the transfer case is frugged it will lock up, if it moves it isn't the transfer case and is downstream of that. Proceed down diagnostics from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trashman5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been thinking that but aren't the front axles spinning all the time even in 2wd?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I've been thinking that but aren't the front axles spinning all the time even in 2wd?
Okay, do it your way. Let me know what you figure out.

Something us cranky old guys learned, we didn't have youtube and the internet back in our day, is to work from simplest to most complicated. You have to start somewhere, you can't fix it sitting o n the couch, or in today's world, sitting at your computer.

One thought what happens when you put it in 4 low.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trashman5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, do it your way. Let me know what you figure out.

Something us cranky old guys learned, we didn't have youtube and the internet back in our day, is to work from simplest to most complicated. You have to start somewhere, you can't fix it sitting o n the couch, or in today's world, sitting at your computer.

One thought what happens when you put it in 4 low.
I know what you're saying. I'm old and cranky with a bad back so I usually start here before climbing under any of my trucks. Also back in our day we didn't have all this electronic BS. We actually had to pull a shifter to put it in 4wd.

4 high and 4 low are the same no movement.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So rather than being a ****, I'll suggest unplugging the front axle actuator. Much simpler than removing the front shaft.

The passenger side output of the front differential has a two piece shaft with a sliding coupler controlled by a servo mounted to the housing. You'll get a service 4wd light by unplugging the actuator, but it'll go away once you plug it back in.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So rather than being a ****, I'll suggest unplugging the front axle actuator. Much simpler than removing the front shaft.

The passenger side output of the front differential has a two piece shaft with a sliding coupler controlled by a servo mounted to the housing. You'll get a service 4wd light by unplugging the actuator, but it'll go away once you plug it back in.
Since you get the service 4wd light, will the computer still engage the transfer case or will the fault not permit it???
I honestly don't know, so asking for knowledge :)

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seem to recall the tcase still working in my truck when my actuator was dead.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I seem to recall the tcase still working in my truck when my actuator was dead.
So you call me an ahole, but i offered a solution that is guaranteed to help isolate the problem. You offer a suggestion that you clearly have no idea whether it will isolate the problem or not. Yes you are a much nicer guy that I.:doh2:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get that you're trying to help, but you come across as an arrogant p r i c k, to be honest. The guy asks a followup question and you basically write him off. I work with a guy who exhibits the same attitude, underneath he's a good guy but he never gets anywhere because of his demeanor.

Have fun wondering why people are mad at you.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My guess is the Xfer actuator isn't engaging all the way. A switch, flaky wiring...Or stuck/broken fork inside. I would start by ensuring the wiring connector pins are real good, no corroded wires at connectors. But like suggested above, put it up on jackstands and go through the driveline one at a time. Or if your back can't handle crawling around underneath, a shop should be able to figure it out pretty quick on a hoist and at least give you an answer w/o a lot of time invested.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

OP
OP
T

Trashman5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE: Since it was in the 50's here in Pa today I finally got under the Ram. And what I found was a front driveshaft that was ripped in two. So that would cause my issue. Thanks for all the helpful info.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ripped in 2? Did something hit it or did the CV joint(s) seize? Post some pics of the shaft.

How many miles on your rig?

Much rather have a boogered up driveshaft than a trashed Tcase.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, we're not all as grumpy as Dean2 :D
:cheers:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing the damage too.

Thanks for posting. We all kind of learn from each other here. :waytogo:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ripped in 2? Did something hit it or did the CV joint(s) seize? Post some pics of the shaft.

How many miles on your rig?

Much rather have a boogered up driveshaft than a trashed Tcase.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, we're not all as grumpy as Dean2 :D
:cheers:
There are days thou, when out on the road.
BTW not that it matters now, but is this auto 4wd, I was wondering what would happen if switched while rolling, Bits all over the road maybe.
maybe that is why the drive shaft is buggered???????? Don't know. Better still check the case out after replacing drive shaft, and bearings while you are at it.

curry7500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I put it in 4 wheel drive from a dead stop something locks right up and the truck won't move. Put it back in 2wd and all is good. Where should I start looking for the problem? I've been told transfer case is shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the truck will not move any at all when you engage 4 wheel drive it is in the transfer case. If it will move and the front wheels do not pull it is the actuater on the front axle

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thinking out loud, with one drive shaft out, the truck should still move in 4wd, would it not, these don't have a locking front differential ,I don't think.
I think something $$$$ froze up.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
the front axle actuator located right side back on the right axle housing, if all works in two wheel drive but locks when selecting 4 wheel drive my guess is the transfer case is fine unless the slip ring is not moving by the actuator on the back of the transfer case, doubt that this is the problem. my guess after reading all is the front axle actuator is not completely shifting all the way to engage the front axle ( half way) which is then locking up the front diff, and that actuator is not hard to swap out