2017 Ram 1500 Will Not Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Lucas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently purchased a 17 Ram 1500 5.7 that a tree fell on the cab, no mechanical damage ran and drove normal. I replaced the cab and transferred everything from the crushed cab into it, all electronics were tagged, disconnected, and reconnected. Everything electronic works and the dash powers up except the truck will not turn over, almost like the starter is not receiving the signal to spin/engage. The dash screen also says that all major components, ABS, Power Steering, Air Bags, plus others need service. I have went through 2 additional times and checked all connections and pins to make sure everything was tight and there was no damage. All harnesses have no damage. One more thing when turning the key to start/run clicking comes from he transmission. Any one have prior experience or opinions. Thanks, Dave

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 17 Ram 1500 5.7 that a tree fell on the cab, no mechanical damage ran and drove normal. I replaced the cab and transferred everything from the crushed cab into it, all electronics were tagged, disconnected, and reconnected. Everything electronic works and the dash powers up except the truck will not turn over, almost like the starter is not receiving the signal to spin/engage. The dash screen also says that all major components, ABS, Power Steering, Air Bags, plus others need service. I have went through 2 additional times and checked all connections and pins to make sure everything was tight and there was no damage. All harnesses have no damage. One more thing when turning the key to start/run clicking comes from he transmission. Any one have prior experience or opinions. Thanks, Dave
I have no idea if this is revalent or not but what key fob and switch are you using? I don't know what using the wrong key fob does as far as security.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no prior experience, just a shot in the dark...have you made sure all grounds are still intact, and nothing shifted that could have caused damage to a ground?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’d be getting the codes retrieved. If the lights are on they’re on for a reason and the codes will give a direction.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Would love to see some pics of the crushed and what it looks like now. Guessing you bought a branded title for a good deal? How many hours do you have into it? I commend you for taking on a project like that! Good luck with finishing it up
:happy160:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id start with power. Does the dash light up and go through the normal items like seatbelt, airbag and so on. Can you see the menus, for the truck like TPMS, and so on? Does the radio come on as well accessories. From there what happens when you turn the key? Does the dash give a warning of any sort? To me sounds like a weak battery or bad connection to the ground or the starter. Once these truck try and fail to crank the starter they give up immediately.

ramccie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It could be a mismatch between the ignition key security codes and the PCM. In newer cars, certain components must be aligned/synced with the PCM for anti theft reasons and if there is a mismatch in what the PCM already expects (i.e previous key codes don't match the new key code), the PCM may prevent the vehicle from starting. However, I'm new to the RAM family and the above is based on my experience with other brands, so YMMV.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't understand all I know about all this electronic stuff but depending on how long you had computer disconnected from power it may have lost its memory and have to be reprogrammed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

David Lucas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have went through every connection, all grounds and connections that were not touched. The computers have been disconnected for approx 2.5 months so the LCM may need programmed like some say. I discussed with the dodge dealer and they do not believe so. They did say to drop it off and they would diagnose it, after their fees I could go and buy a new one. I am trying to find a smaller shop that has the computer to connect and diagnose the issue. Thanks for the help!