2018 Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'll go with factory then soon. Trailer I'm pulling is a 28' camper trailer frame (counting tongue) I converted to utility trailer and pretty much will remain a flat bed for a while. Although I doubt trailer itself weighs over 3000 lbs., still want to use braking system.

View attachment 246985 View attachment 246986 View attachment 246987 View attachment 246988

The trailer itself is light. However, depending on what the camper was that had been on it, you could have a 10k GVWR on that trailer (depends mostly on what axles are under it, there should be a tag, you can also tell by the lugnut configuration...sort of). If you're loaded up heavier than 5k, you're going to want those brakes. It's nice even when you're running empty.

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
The trailer itself is light. However, depending on what the camper was that had been on it, you could have a 10k GVWR on that trailer (depends mostly on what axles are under it, there should be a tag, you can also tell by the lugnut configuration...sort of). If you're loaded up heavier than 5k, you're going to want those brakes. It's nice even when you're running empty.

They are 3500 lb. axles (2.375"). Before I install planks I want to stub out the wires (the previous owner cut them). Been having an issue with one of the shackles inverting on front axle (both sides) I think after I get the weight of the wood on it my shackles won't do this. I replaced the coupler with Bulldog 12k GVWR 2 5/16". The previous coupler was same weight.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
They are 3500 lb. axles (2.375"). Before I install planks I want to stub out the wires (the previous owner cut them). Been having an issue with one of the shackles inverting on front axle (both sides) I think after I get the weight of the wood on it my shackles won't do this. I replaced the coupler with Bulldog 12k GVWR 2 5/16". The previous coupler was same weight.

Sounds like you're going to end up with a decent trailer, just remember that since you have 3500 lb axles you are limited to a 7k GVWR (same as my 20' flatbed car hauler). It will do almost everything you want it to do I would think. I pretty much haul snowmobiles and quads/dirt bikes on mine. Still, it's nice to have the brakes back there. Just make sure to keep your gain turned down when you're empty or running light - too much gain and those trailer brakes will lock in an instant, giving you some nice flat spots.

An advantage you have is that your frame could likely support more weight than your axles will currently allow, so if you upgraded to 5k axles (or even 6k), you could take full advantage of your coupler, which you say is rated to 12k. It might be something to look into down the road, but it sounds like you may not need to right now.

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Sounds like you're going to end up with a decent trailer, just remember that since you have 3500 lb axles you are limited to a 7k GVWR (same as my 20' flatbed car hauler). It will do almost everything you want it to do I would think. I pretty much haul snowmobiles and quads/dirt bikes on mine. Still, it's nice to have the brakes back there. Just make sure to keep your gain turned down when you're empty or running light - too much gain and those trailer brakes will lock in an instant, giving you some nice flat spots.

An advantage you have is that your frame could likely support more weight than your axles will currently allow, so if you upgraded to 5k axles (or even 6k), you could take full advantage of your coupler, which you say is rated to 12k. It might be something to look into down the road, but it sounds like you may not need to right now.

Down the road, when I can afford a new "Kubota or John Deere", I will upgrade axles! For now, only building materials, box cargo or pipe will be hauled. I appreciate your help as you as well as some others have been very informative! Just have to muster up the nerve to go back to dealer so he can they can tell me how much of a small fortune they gonna charge to program brake controller (I'm going to install controller myself). I've had the OBDII in my list on Amazon since I bought truck and I have link for crossover wire on here-just never got around to buying.

I did order this for now...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HRICH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Down the road, when I can afford a new "Kubota or John Deere", I will upgrade axles! For now, only building materials, box cargo or pipe will be hauled. I appreciate your help as you as well as some others have been very informative! Just have to muster up the nerve to go back to dealer so he can they can tell me how much of a small fortune they gonna charge to program brake controller (I'm going to install controller myself). I've had the OBDII in my list on Amazon since I bought truck and I have link for crossover wire on here-just never got around to buying.

I did order this for now...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HRICH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depending on the dealer, it might not be as bad as you're thinking. This was on a Ford (it is a Ford/Ram dealer), and we have a great relationship with the service department, but they installed and programmed the IBC for my wife's F150 for like....$150-200 complete. It was dirt cheap, I'm not even sure they charged us for the full labor.

mike5519

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a 2001 2500 dually with the Cummins/auto that I just bought (with 28,000 miles, still had the factory rubber on it). My question is does it have a brake controller on it and how do I know? It has a 6 or 7 wire factory hitch plug (that the cover is missing, and I need to replace) so does that mean it has a controller on it? I don't see any adjustment or any lights on the dash indicating trailer brake controller.

If I need to install an aftermarket controller, any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 2001 2500 dually with the Cummins/auto that I just bought (with 28,000 miles, still had the factory rubber on it). My question is does it have a brake controller on it and how do I know? It has a 6 or 7 wire factory hitch plug (that the cover is missing, and I need to replace) so does that mean it has a controller on it? I don't see any adjustment or any lights on the dash indicating trailer brake controller.

If I need to install an aftermarket controller, any suggestions?

Thanks
I don't believe anyone had an integrated brake controller in '01. IF you have one it would be a stand-alone unit, it would be a small black box-looking thing on the bottom of the dash with either a red light or a small display on it.