2021 5.7, engine cut off driving at speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcm4721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque

2021 Ram etorque , 5.7, 35k miles.

I was driving at ~50 mph and the dash went blank for a brief second, engine cut off, and the message display says to put in park to restart. I pull over, restart, and drive off.

A mile up the road, same thing happens again.

After another mile or two, same thing happens again, except the truck will not restart when I push the start button.

I had it towed to a dealer. While waiting for the tow, I was eventually able to restart it, and more than once it idled for a short time and would cut off.

During one "cut off" i recorded the dash with my phone, and you can see the ignition switch go from "run" to "off" just before the dash powers off, and then comes back on.

The truck had not had the 2021 etorque recall for stalling, and the dealer did that repair/update , but says they can't find anything else. What my truck did does not seem to fit the stalling issue addressed by the recall.

Thoughts?

It still has the OEM battery, so I've had them replace it before I pick it up tomorrow.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have them test drive it for a few miles before you accept it back! If they get stuck then it's on them to fix for sure and they can't say "everything was working when you picked it up - must be you".

I'd say it's most likely the start button. It's the one thing in the immediate circuit that has a moving internal component. Likely something failed, and is making spurious contact with the part of the electronics inside the button and sending the "Button pushed" signal to the computer. Since the button cycles in a OFF-ACC-RUN or in OFF-RUN when pushing the brake pedal, and then repeat, when you're in RUN, it's next cycle is to go to "OFF".

I'd just swap it out if it happens again. They're not expensive (unless you buy it from the dealer!) and you can do the work yourself in 5 minutes - two screws on the dash underside - lift and pop it off, and you can reach behind the button, disconnect the plug, pull the button, and swap a new one in.

OP
OP
D

dcm4721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Thanks.

They test drove it and (of course) were unable to duplicate the problem. By the time I got it to the dealer (the first time) it was running normally and not shutting off. :/

When I got the truck back, it happened to be pouring rain, and I discovered water coming in around the rear window. So I am now suspecting water may have been getting to the RF module behind the rear seat and causing the problem. They are putting in a window today, and will be checking for leaks around the brake light as well.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple of other thoughts: Could be moisture getting into the wiring. This could be causing a signal issue through the CAN bus. It could also be a faulty CAN Bus connector (there are several). Are there any codes?

OP
OP
D

dcm4721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
No codes. Haven't gotten an update since they supposedly started working on it .

I had them replace the battery, they are doing the window and will check for water intrusion, and I've ordered a replacement ignition switch.