3mph brake dump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CEEEEE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fellow RAM owners - I have an annoying little issue that I'm looking for some help with..

I have a 2016 Laramie. For what feels like the past year in general driving conditions I can be on the brakes at a reasonable pressure but at 3mph (pretty reliably) the brake pressure dumps then recovers, causing the truck to lurch forward and recoil as it comes to a stop. This does not seem to happen under heavy braking. It. is. obnoxious.

Engine revs do not change when this happens.

And it appears to not be there when I remove the ABS fuse. This, obviously, isn't a reasonable fix.

Has anyone had something similar happen?

Previous google searches have come up with 'abs dump valve' as a cause - but I can't find that part. The pump itself seems to be working. Would this be a control module issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it doesn't happen with the ABS fuse pulled, it's possibly something causing a wheel speed sensor to give a false reading and the ABS tries to kick in.

OP
OP
C

CEEEEE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a good thought and I'll start exploring down that rabbit hole. Thank you!!

E7K0629

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, new here but this seems similar to an issue I'm having on my 2012 1500 4x4 Sport with 85K miles (not the original owner). During normal driving/braking, I get a nice bite on the brakes with very little pedal pressure or movement. But if I'm slowly riding in heavy traffic gridlock or trying to ease down a hill where I have to keep my foot on the brake for a minute or more, the pedal sinks to the floor and I lose nearly all braking power. Then as soon as I let up on the pedal or pump it once, brakes return to normal.