60k service almost turned into a nightmare (6.4L HEMI)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Took my truck (2017 2500 6.4L) that I bought in January of 2021 to the dealer for the 60k service... I have had ZERO issues thus far with the truck and have even taken it across country with my ATV in the back. I don't tow anything heavy and tend to take very good care of my vehicles.

Tech calls:
"Hey man, we checked and all of the recommended stuff needs done... front & rear diffs --> transfer case --> major transmission service (drop pan / flush / new filter / new fluid) --> air filter --> cabin filter.

Then he drops a bomb on me:
"It appears that someone broke off an important plastic nipple that a hose connects to (think he said it was a vacuum line)... then tried to super-glue it back on and it's just sitting there now... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that means you're going to need a new intake manifold -- which is going to be $2,340 for the part" :boxed:

"Also, we finally were able to find why you were smelling a little coolant when the truck has been warmed up -- you need a new water pump as it has a little leak... you'll also need a new thermostat while we're in there... $750 for the pump, $100 and some change for the thermostat and other little doo-dads."

Me:
"Huh, wellllll -- that's interesting... why don't you walk over to finance and see what the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the truck from you guys and paid $3500 for will actually cover? Thanks!"

Tech calls me back:
"Man you owe me some beer, I got the intake manifold and the water pump covered. Good thing you had that warranty!"

So, I still have a HEFTY bill ($2k) for all of the recommended service interval stuff -- but at least I just basically made my money back with parts and labor of the intake manifold and water pump :emotions33:

SHEESH! :hidesbehindsofa:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Wow I really am surprised the warranty was honored from the sound of it you did luck out..

I hate when I take a vehicle in for service or repair because I figure being a shop especially a dealership service department they have access to all the latest repair data and training but then they break whatever they were trying to fix and then I tell myself…

“ I could have done that !”

..and saved a bundle by either breaking it myself or taken my time and not break it.. but time is usually the deciding factor except when they break it you still spend more time waiting.

zrock

Reaction score
i would almost bet that they broke the nipple on the manifold either by accident or trying to get more work. If you had any vacuum line broke your truck would have been running like crap and throwing codes.. I would almost be interested to see if they changed it or just cleaned the crap out of it to make it look new

OP
OP
One Mile Up

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yea, I said the same thing to myself… it was running smooth - NO issues.

I’d put money down that either the nipple was broken prior and they super glued it and the new tech just didn't know / see it and broke it off again -OR- they just plain broke it and passed the buck to me…

I’m just happy I don’t have to pay!

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hopefully you will find a different dealer the next time you need warranty work , might even be a good time to find an independent repair shop that isn’t looking to cheat you . I’m not sure if you get a survey for their service work ,but if you do I would be sure to grade appropriately.

OP
OP
One Mile Up

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Update: Picked up my truck this morning, the bill came out to $5,439. I only had to pay $1,800 --> my extended warranty picked up the rest .

Replaced:
- Intake manifold
- Water pump
- Thermostat (and misc seals)
- Air filter
- Cabin filter

Changed fluid:
- Front diff
- Rear diff
- Transfer case
- Major service to transmission (drop pan --> change filter --> flush -n- fill)

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The MaxxCare warranties (presuming that's what you got) will cover a LOT of stuff. Put a new transmission pan on my '17 because it was rusty, including the gasket. Covered front and rear parking sensors because they don't like salt and water and cold temps. Covered my MAP sensor going bad, as well as all the parts they had to replace while trying to diagnose it.

They're worth the money, especially with how many things CAN go wrong on these trucks and how expensive they are.

But yes, the 60k service for a 6.4 hemi is pricey, they hit you up for a LOT of gaskets and fluids and whatnot, and their rates are higher than other shops, BUT it keeps any questions from popping up that could get something NOT covered by the warranty.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good news is your coolant was changed as well. I would add brake fluid and power steering while at it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
One Mile Up

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The MaxxCare warranties (presuming that's what you got)...
Nah, my dealer gave me something different -- but it sounds like it's pretty decent!

Good news is your coolant was changed as well. I would add brake fluid and power steering while at it.
They inspected everything to make sure it was G2G -- because... I asked! I don't want to have to worry about anything for a while... :emotions33:

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: Picked up my truck this morning, the bill came out to $5,439. I only had to pay $1,800 --> my extended warranty picked up the rest .

Replaced:
- Intake manifold
- Water pump
- Thermostat (and misc seals)
- Air filter
- Cabin filter

Changed fluid:
- Front diff
- Rear diff
- Transfer case
- Major service to transmission (drop pan --> change filter --> flush -n- fill)
Just FYI, all of the fluids are easy to change at home minus the transmission which is more involved but still doable. I changed all of those fluids over the past month on random weekends, including the transmission fluid that I did yesterday.

OP
OP
One Mile Up

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just FYI, all of the fluids are easy to change at home minus the transmission which is more involved but still doable. I changed all of those fluids over the past month on random weekends, including the transmission fluid that I did yesterday.

Yeah, I know -- I'm mainly just having them do all the maintenance while my warranty is still in effect... otherwise they can give me trouble later on if something should need replaced. WAY too easy for them to just say - "We aren't going to replace "x" because we can't prove that you actually changed the fluids out at the recommended service intervals and what you used when you did (brand / product).

Annoying... but I'm sticking to this until I'm outta warranty... THEN I'll start doing everything in the driveway. :cheers:

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I know -- I'm mainly just having them do all the maintenance while my warranty is still in effect... otherwise they can give me trouble later on if something should need replaced. WAY too easy for them to just say - "We aren't going to replace "x" because we can't prove that you actually changed the fluids out at the recommended service intervals and what you used when you did (brand / product).

Annoying... but I'm sticking to this until I'm outta warranty... THEN I'll start doing everything in the driveway. :cheers:
Makes perfect sense. My truck has been out of warranty for a long time so I forgot what it was like. My dealer never mentioned my diff or transfer case fluid when I was taking my truck to them during the warranty period. They also say the transmission fluid isn't serviceable since it's a sealed system so I'm glad yours actually did a fluid change for you.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat