66RFE solenoid replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smtent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L gas
I have a 2018 2500 with a 6.4 Hemi Tradesman extended cab and 8' bed
I have been in limp mode for a while with hard shifts into forward and only going into 4th and hard shifts into reverse. I am getting the shift solenoid bad code, and I have ordered the new shift solenoid. I have a new filter, and gaskets. I am wondering before I tear this out is there anything that I need to watch for? Or anything else I should replace while I have it apart. I am in a remote area so no dealer access.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From reading on the forum and living through two failures with the 66rfe, the valve body seems way more likely to be a problem than a solenoid but if you're getting that error code I guess I can see the logic. I only got an error code once and that was with my first failure after I had to drive it +/- a couple miles to get off a busy freeway. It was comical that it came on after the tranny had failed hard several miles before. Finally as I was coming to rest the CEL came on. As if I hadn't realized there was a problem previously. By that point I had lost all forward gears and was backing into a parking lot off a busy street :)

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree. Definitely do the valvebody if funds will allow. They are not cheap for a good one. You have to remove the valvebody to remove the solenoid so might as well do that while in there. It is a well known failure point in the trans. Just don’t go back oem because it doesn’t address the issues.
Also if you can get a transmission pan with a drain plug. It will make future fluid drains a lot easier. I installed the dorman pan because it was only 50 bucks I think.

OP
OP
S

smtent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L gas
Thanks for the info I like the idea of a drain on the pan. You say the OEM valve body is an issue? what brand should I be looking for? I was thinking along those lines anyways so that sounds like the right plan.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Must have been a rush on em. Summit now says they are not available and future availability is unknown. A sign of the times.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I contacted a company called whatever it takes transmission parts when I replaced mine back in January. At that time they were the only place I could locate one and only had two available. Not the cheapest place to get it. I know I paid more than usual for it but needed it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Sure is sad @HEMIMANN, no doubt about it. What's more discouraging is from what I hear and I hope I'm wrong, but the state were in with parts and supply chain issues is now expected to continue through to the winter of 2024. It keeps getting pushed back. Hopefully things will free up before then, but that's what I was told recently.

OP
OP
S

smtent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L gas
Update on my situation. We changed out the shift solenoid and now the truck is back to running like a champ I am going to have to go back into the transmission in a few weeks and replace the spin on as napa didn't have one when I did the job. I did order a pan with a drain on it I really like the idea we will see how well it works over time but seems great!