8.4 upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iRamZz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if I just bought the radio and bezel, do I have to get the long wiring harness or can I just get a short one and it work the same? I can get a great deal on the 8.4 & I’m wondering, thanks!

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A short Conversion harness will work. The hvac module will have to be mounted and secured in the radio area instead of the factory location which is in the passenger side dash by the glovebox. If you are buying a used setup make sure it was made for a 7 Speed Conversion and not a 4 Speed. I’m assuming your truck is a 1500. If it’s a 2500 you will need a 4 Speed Conversion Harness.

OP
OP
iRamZz

iRamZz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, thought I wrote I drove a 1500. With the 7 speed. What’s the best place to get the short harness?
Have a 2016 radio and getting it for $400 from a buddy. Which would be the best route?

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
any specific reason you want the short harness? The long harness isn’t that much harder to install. We only build long harnesses because it’s the same amount of effort to build a long harness as it is to build a short harness. It’s just less wire. So if we were to build a short harness it would only probably be $20 less so we just decided to only build long ones. Putting the HVAC module in the factory location makes for a nicer install IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
And you can always curl the long one up behind the dash anyway if you really must have the HVAC module behind the radio. Usually isn't a good way to secure it in there either.

M² Mods.