8 Speed 8PH70 Question

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by SyN, May 16, 2014.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. SyN

SyN 6.7L CTD Owner

Ram Year:
    2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    I (Myself) actually did my own leg work months ago and took the effort to contact ZF themselves. The tech I talked to instructed me of the Service They recommended for this transmission. I will say this (The Lifetime) fluid idea was Rams not ZF. As well as the coolant / ATF heat exchanger.

As of late & few ideas that popped up with the conversation with the ZF tech. I added a Spin-On filter kit to my 8HP70. Along with a Very Strong Ceramic C8 grade Neodymium magnet inside the spin-on filter. As well as 4 on the outside of the filter.

Cleaner fluid at every pass will prolong the life of the expensive fluid which will help extend service intervals. Which is a win/win especially when the plastic composite pan cost over $200. Hopefully the price will drop over time.

Like I have said oh maybe 17 times or so I don't know I quit counting. I am doing basic preventive maintenance for those miles after my warranty is done/expired/out/over.
    Preparation for that time when my Ram reaches 100,001 miles or that quickly approaching 5 years has past!
    Since I have plans on keeping my Ram well beyond that. I will do maintenance now to prepare for Those Miles. Ram only cares about getting you through that 5 Year/100K period. For me that 5 years is Fast approaching. I don't even have 20k miles on my Ram yet!

Don't you all fret over my maintenance on my 8HP70. We will be just fine.

One thing to remember:
    Just because someone else thought of it and is doing it (with outstanding results)
    Even though YOU didn't think of it (OR) are not doing it--->Does not mean it's wrong!

There is a very good chance when my 5 years comes and goes my Ram will barely have 40k miles on her. There for that puts a lot of future miles going foreword with Zero warranty. Yup I'm doing the right thing!

My future plans as of today are:
    At the 25K mile mark replace the spin-on ATF filter / fill filter w/Red Line D6).
    At the 50,000 mile mark drain the pan and refill with Red Line D6 and change out the spin-on ATF filter.
    At the 100,000 mile mark drop the pan and replace. And refill with Red Line D6 / replace the spin-on ATF filter / fill filter with Red Line D6.
    Each new spin-on ATF filter will get a New Ceramic C8 magnet inside.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Hemi395 and savage_46 like this.
  2. Hipps2000

Hipps2000 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7l
    I agree...can you post a link of the products used here. I am keeping my ram as well and have just done a coolant flush 3 years 21000 miles when I changed thermo to 180. When I upgraded to LSD I also changed the rear end diff fluids. I would also like to protect tranny. A filter and magnets are just added protection!

SyN likes this.
  3. Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Any news on this subject?

My 2014 Ram with HEMI & 8HP70 has about 93k miles on it.

Still shifts great but am wondering if I should be trying to:
    A - Leave it alone
    B - Drain fluid & Fill with new fluid from mopar
    C - Drain fluid, replace pan with filter, fill with new fluid from mopar

4. SyN

SyN 6.7L CTD Owner

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    O'Malley: Only you can answer these questions!
    Most would be scared and just Say: Leave it alone.

My Question to U is: How many more years do U plan on being the owner of this same Ram?

If 1 or 2 more years? I would honestly say just save your money & drive it! They say it is full for life fluid, I will pretend to be brainwashed and ignore all service that probably should have been done already.

If you say: For many more years to come with many more miles accumulating very rapidly!
    I would honestly say with a straight & serious face you might want to shake that $$$ Tree today!
    We need to spend a very large amount of it on a Pan/Filter & Expensive Fluid!

Most 8HP70 owners would honestly ignore my thoughts/opinions! Which is perfectly fine! I will still be driving this very same Ram in 5-10 years. Also you half to understand where this is all coming from.
    I am not one of those gullible/naïve owners who believe just by installing a CAI: I can gain 10 to 20 more horsepower at the rear wheels.

Here are my next 2 projects scheduled for my 8HP70 @ the 50K mile mark.
    I will have the drivers side exhaust moved from below the pan & rerouted.
    Then install the New Pan & Filter & Refill with RL D6 & replace my spin-on transmission filter again. (My first filter change will be at 25K miles!)

New Pan:
    http://www.pacificp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_143&products_id=695

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    moregrip likes this.
  5. clh1220

clh1220 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    I don't get changing that fluid that early. It's lifetime fill no service is required. I have the max care lifetime warranty. All I have to do is go by Chrysler service manual. Antifreeze is 100k transfer case is 120k. Inspect differential for leaking.

6. SyN

SyN 6.7L CTD Owner

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD

If you don't get it! You have nothing to worry about then!

The service manual is only a guideline it is not the Bible.

I am basically doing in a roundabout way, only 10,000 miles less exactly then what the ZF tech told me to do.
    By the way ZF is the creator/designer/builder of this transmission not Chrysler/Ram.

Also after seeing all the fine metal shavings within Shawns 8HP70 plastic pan only after 40K miles. I know I'm doing the proper service @ 50K miles. As well as a Huge added benefit by adding the Spin-On filter kit. (By the way as of today there has been not 1 issue! No Leaks/No Drips/Temp/PSI issues!) Sorry to disappoint those who were hoping.

I basically call it Preventive Maintenance! Most today don't & will never get it or understand it! No worry to me! I can only control so much.
    I also enjoy it & feel good doing it. Most don't even like getting their hands dirty.

R.L.K. likes this.
  7. Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Hey thanks for the link to that pan. These guys are actually only about 15min from me. I changed the fluid myself on my 09 hemi but that was pretty straightforward with just dropping the pan, swapping two filters and reinstalling.

I've actually serviced VW/Audi transmissions with this same setup with a mechatronics unit. No dipstick and using a scantool to monitor trans temp. A bit more of a process but still doable so not worried about tackling it.

The biggest thing with these newer transmisions are the mechatronics units. If it is anything like the VW/AUDI versions this unit has numerous solenoids and is the valve body that is sold as an entire unit (usually $2500+) They wont sell you just one solenoid if it goes bad. Ze Cherman Engineering :roflsquared:

SyN likes this.
  8. SyN

SyN 6.7L CTD Owner

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    ^^ anything you can add within this thread about this transmission you are more than welcome.

Even a step-by-step service of this transmission would be kind of cool to get a few ideas and thoughts on how to within these walls.

You are more than welcome to share yours this is what I created this thread for.

I have kind of a small spiral notebook of step-by-step instructions on how I'm going to service my transmission. Most of my info come from Shawn's video which he proved he was doing it properly because he had over 200,000 miles on he is with no issues ever.

9. clh1220

clh1220 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    The service manual is not just a guide line. You can do more that's up to you. I do all the work on my vehicles except for warranty work. With the lifetime warranty it is a waist of time and money messing with the 8 speed. :favorites13:

10. SyN

SyN 6.7L CTD Owner

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    I can tell as always you are one that thinks he is always right!
    That's ok! (Golf Clap!!)

One thing to attempt to think about!~~~>Talking about a total waste of money 10x the cost of My Preventive Maintenance Plan! Millions of Millions of Fine Folks every minute of every day waist $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on Smoking/Abusing Drugs/Dipping/Vaping I can go on & on! All spending so much more $$ then I.
    I am so thankful my (Waisting Money LoL!) has a huge benefit compared to those other Millions!

I am so thankful my Waisting is only a 16th of theirs!
    Not to even mention the owners who spend literally Thousands of $$$$$$$$ on Huge Fancy Wheels/Tires/Lifts/Lowering Kits/LED lights/HID Kits/Engine Mods to gain 20-40 extra RWHP/CAI/Sound Systems for inside their Rams! On & On & On!

My Waisting (LoL!) $-->(Total so far as of today $86.37) on my 8HP70 can't even scratch the surface of what these owners spend! Yup I am (Indeed) the Waistful One!

I do want to apologize now for Waisting more $$$$$$ in my near future for installing a Level Kit & installing NEW 20x10 Chrome wheels & very expensive set of 305/55R20 A/T tires!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017