8 speed fluid change. Not normal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking at doing the tranny fluid change on my 14 5.7 8 speed. With all the videos and well written posts here. It does not look to bad to do. My question is a little different that I have not seen or found yet. Since you are doing a guild change and you will not get all the guild out. If you switch from the ZF will using any other oil compatible? any have any issues with mixing different brands of fluids?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's a compatible fluid, mixing will be fine. Use something quality and you'll be fine.

I chose to use fluid from Mopar at 50k, I'll likely do it every 25 from now on.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I personally went with the OE fluid, but there are plenty of members here who have used other brands of fluids, with good results.

There is a compatible Valvoline fluid that you can buy a gallon for about the same price as a quart of the Mopar 8+9 speed atf.

Some have used products from Amsoil and RedLine as well. Your truck, your choice.

@Wild one has posted factory fill instructions throughout this site. Follow them.

You will need to get your rear wheels about 9" or so off the ground to get the transmission pan rail level.

OP
OP
M

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally went with the OE fluid, but there are plenty of members here who have used other brands of fluids, with good results.

There is a compatible Valvoline fluid that you can buy a gallon for about the same price as a quart of the Mopar 8+9 speed atf.

Some have used products from Amsoil and RedLine as well. Your truck, your choice.

@Wild one has posted factory fill instructions throughout this site. Follow them.

You will need to get your rear wheels about 9" or so off the ground to get the transmission pan rail level.
@Wild one i have read his post. It is very good. New territory for me so would like to learn from other mistakes not make my own for a change

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went with Redline D6, being is less than half the cost of the Mopar fluid, I did 3 drain and fills along with a PPE pan which the drain plug is easily accessible and have no issues with it. as others mentioned you have to raise the rear end until the transmission is level.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used valvoline maxlife atf when I did my 2014 1500. I had no issues went 20k before I traded that truck in. I was never scared as the fluid is all really similar. It's not like ZF fluid made from magic fairy dust. I used a cheap pump from harborfreight works really slick.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 10k or so on valvoline maxlife atf as was recommended since I didn't want to spend money on the oem liquid gold and lots of tuned tranny guys reported switching back from redline d6 stating it was too slippery for a tuned zf8.

Been running fine with the maxlife atf. It was cheap and easy enough that I'll be doing it again once it warms up to flush more fluid out since I didn't disconnect and backflush the trans cooler.

OP
OP
M

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 10k or so on valvoline maxlife atf as was recommended since I didn't want to spend money on the oem liquid gold and lots of tuned tranny guys reported switching back from redline d6 stating it was too slippery for a tuned zf8.

Been running fine with the maxlife atf. It was cheap and easy enough that I'll be doing it again once it warms up to flush more fluid out since I didn't disconnect and backflush the trans cooler.
B Be Oh did not think of back pushing the cooler

KingAirVariant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, (2020 Ram 1500, Long Hauler)
so many answers and as to why the manufacturer would say sealed lifetime fluid (whatever) is crap!! After seeing the design of the stooopid engineering effort of literally blocking the PLASTIC! drain bolt from the PLASTIC! (ABS) pan with a built in filter? Really? changing the fluid is out of the question for alot of folks who dont turn wrenches and the dealer will cost alot. That said, the exhaust cross over pipe even though its crimped where the drain bolt is, its still an A** pain to get too, I had to cut an allen tool down to get it in place to drain it out only to keep the mess to a minimum, and use a box end wrench to turn it. After draining, you loosen the Torx (yes, mine has torx heads) there is one bolt totally blocked. After this trick F**K, I bought the PPE pan. much better, save alot of money, actual replaceable filter but still a Beoch to drain and refit back into the tight qtrs. One more thing, for those in the know, of course no more dipsticks for the newer models now, the fill hole is on the side of the tranny, rite above the down tube of the cat. Wonderful.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, (2020 Ram 1500, Long Hauler)
so many answers and as to why the manufacturer would say sealed lifetime fluid (whatever) is crap!! After seeing the design of the stooopid engineering effort of literally blocking the PLASTIC! drain bolt from the PLASTIC! (ABS) pan with a built in filter? Really? changing the fluid is out of the question for alot of folks who dont turn wrenches and the dealer will cost alot. That said, the exhaust cross over pipe even though its crimped where the drain bolt is, its still an A** pain to get too, I had to cut an allen tool down to get it in place to drain it out only to keep the mess to a minimum, and use a box end wrench to turn it. After draining, you loosen the Torx (yes, mine has torx heads) there is one bolt totally blocked. After this trick F**K, I bought the PPE pan. much better, save alot of money, actual replaceable filter but still a Beoch to drain and refit back into the tight qtrs. One more thing, for those in the know, of course no more dipsticks for the newer models now, the fill hole is on the side of the tranny, rite above the down tube of the cat. Wonderful.
That is why I went with the PPE, the drain plug is so easily accessible compared to the oem pan.

KingAirVariant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well said Mr. F, but shoe horning in the PPE pan was very difficult. PPE pan height was about 4". crimped area of the cross over pipe well, of course, 4" or less by an 1/8. The OEM gasket with the aluminum barrel posts on the PPE would not stay lined up as I slid it in place. I had to literally use a screw driver to make sure it all lined up prior to bolting it down. Without those barrels, youd definitely smash the rubber gasket and it will contort. As for the drain bolt? same position as the OEM, cannot even get a socket on it, in my case a 14mm socket. No room period.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
2015 Eco-D....I changed to MaxLife and the first change, I only added 5.5 qts so it was a mix of OEM and max life, zero issues. On my last change I swapped out the plastic pan for a Jeep Wrangler steel pan with a replaceable filter. I really leveled it and went by the book on the refill when I added fluid after installing the steel pan, it took exactly 6 qts of Maxlife. The pan P/N is 68362041AB, it has a replaceable filter, P/N 684170054AB.