8-Speed Noise Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this helped your issue as well? Awesome! I'm glad I could help. I've searched for months for the culprit of the vibration. I was so excited when I found it. I was almost to the point of trading the truck off. I thought it was only days before my tranny was gonna grenade. Luckily I found the issue. And now I get to keep my 1500.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Yep. I had the same "Screeeeech" around 3500 RPM; especially at Wide Open Throttle. Simply prying this bracket out of the way solved the problem.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Gasser76

Gasser76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 8-spd
Thanks so much supermanWV. Finally got a chance to try this tonight and it worked perfectly. Now the only problem I've had with my truck is fixed!!!

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was glad when I figured it out. But I'm super stoked that it has helped you all as well. That's the only issue I've had with mine as well. It sucked that the dealers didn't find it the 4/5 times I was there. I need to let them know next time I'm there for an oil change. Hopefully it will help others too. If you all are at the dealer you should fill them in on this tidbit of info. I also posted a link to this post on RamForumz.com to help guys/girls out over there too.

SGT B

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
THIS NEEDS TO BE POSTED SOMEWHERE THAT ALL 8 SPEED OWNERS CAN FIND IT THROUGH GOOGLE!!

I have been combing the internet for 2 months looking for a way to get rid of this damn noise. My truck has 5K on it and I was 2 days fro trading it in for a diffrent truck. I had been to the dealer 7 times and it was the same story "totally norm for a 8 speed to make this noise"...blah blah blah.

I found this thread, signed up for the forum and took a screw drive and broke off that damn tab (all in under 5 min).

Problem solved! Thank you so much!

fletch33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just wanted to say thanks and will be sharing this with my dealership as i have the same problem. i was only able to describe it as sounding like a heatshield problem. they heard it in my drive with them but told me it could be a real problem to solve.

also side note mine also had a strange hum when backing up and they ended up giving me a new transmission at 12,000 miles and actually a rep from the transmission factory come in to examine it first.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone with this noise do this....it fixed it for me.

Grab large flat screwdriver, crawl under truck from passenger side, above front crossmember that holds transfer-case the exhaust is pieced together with an exhaust clamp, on top of the exhaust pipe there is a piece of metal welded to the pipe and bent over the top of the clamp to hold the clamp on the exhaust at the factory before it's put together and the clamp is tightened. But it's only welded on one side of the clamp. NOW.... Take that flat screwdriver, place it under that piece of metal and pry it up off the clamp. BOOM.....no more noise. The vibration at 2500 RPM's causes that metal to vibrate on the clamp. Pry it up and the noise will be gone.

Let me know if it works for you......

Clark (SupermanWV)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 63

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a close up pic.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 69

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This info was a repost....tied to explain better.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Bump for new members who might hear this clinking sound.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The Mods really REALLY need to fix the stickys. I was a mod for a few forums and I would make a sticky with links to threads like this for common problems. All the stickys here are from 5 years ago and are irrelevant to most things people come here for.

MOD's LISTEN UP, you guys need to fix your stickys. or make me a Mod I'll do it

....and yes I brought this bish back from the dead cause of a google search...

parkerbows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THIS NEEDS TO BE POSTED SOMEWHERE THAT ALL 8 SPEED OWNERS CAN FIND IT THROUGH GOOGLE!!

I have been combing the internet for 2 months looking for a way to get rid of this damn noise. My truck has 5K on it and I was 2 days fro trading it in for a diffrent truck. I had been to the dealer 7 times and it was the same story "totally norm for a 8 speed to make this noise"...blah blah blah.

I found this thread, signed up for the forum and took a screw drive and broke off that damn tab (all in under 5 min).

Problem solved! Thank you so much!
I agree BUT this is a problem with more than just 8 speeds. It is a Hemi exhaust no matter what tranny. I have the same tab on my 6 speed

Skrelnik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Just realized there was more than one page (mobile phone cuts stuff off and being a new member I missed the page numbers). I am pumped to go home tonight to see if that clip thing is my issue. I'll report back tomorrow.

Hi - new forum member here. Sorry to bring up an ancient thread but I have been searching high and low for an answer and this quote below best describes the issue.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I have a 2014 1500 with 5.7hemi and 8 speed tranny with 13k miles, no mods or anything. This metallic like sound has no theme, comes and goes in both warm or cold weather, and on warm or cold starts. Happens in low gears, but that could be due to the loud engine overshadowing this mysterious noise.

any help is much appreciated, but not looking for someone to tell me to go to the dealership.

Thanks in advance!

My 8 speed makes a
metallic "like a small spring rattling" under light acceleration, a second or two before the shift. Seems to happen only in the lower gears -- 1 through 4 or 5.

I'll likely talk about it when I bring it for the 1st free oil change.

Last edited:

Skrelnik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So last night, and again this morning, I followed both downpipes to where they connect to exhaust pipe, and then followed that pipe all the way to the muffler. I looked at every clamp for this metal clip but could not find it. Is it specific to a model and year, can anyone who did this fix confirm what model and year they have? Thanks!

UPDATE: Just realized there was more than one page (mobile phone cuts stuff off and being a new member I missed the page numbers). I am pumped to go home tonight to see if that clip thing is my issue. I'll report back tomorrow.

Hi - new forum member here. Sorry to bring up an ancient thread but I have been searching high and low for an answer and this quote below best describes the issue.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I have a 2014 1500 with 5.7hemi and 8 speed tranny with 13k miles, no mods or anything. This metallic like sound has no theme, comes and goes in both warm or cold weather, and on warm or cold starts. Happens in low gears, but that could be due to the loud engine overshadowing this mysterious noise.

any help is much appreciated, but not looking for someone to tell me to go to the dealership.

Thanks in advance!

phrater

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So last night, and again this morning, I followed both downpipes to where they connect to exhaust pipe, and then followed that pipe all the way to the muffler. I looked at every clamp for this metal clip but could not find it. Is it specific to a model and year, can anyone who did this fix confirm what model and year they have? Thanks!

Reviving this thread...

I am doing this as soon as I get home, I been looking for this answer for a long time....

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 8 speed makes a metallic "like a small spring rattling" under light acceleration, a second or two before the shift. Seems to happen only in the lower gears -- 1 through 4 or 5.

I'll likely talk about it when I bring it for the 1st free oil change.
Mine seems to be doing a similar thing...ever figure it out?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No noise from mine either.. 2018 Ram 5.7 hemi 8 speed..Quiet as a mouse.. Oh and it has 10,000 miles on it

Last edited: