Adding remote start and uconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATC235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone.

I just bought a used 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Laramie. It doesn't have a remote start. So I'm not sure what to do.

I would like to buy a OEM remote start and install it myself and have the dealer code the computer for me. But only if I can then start the truck via the uconnect app. And I would like be to add a push to start.
Anyone try this?
Or

Just spend $600 and go with a aftermarket alarm.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The Unconnect app sort of sucks and expensive. If the main reason to get remote start is to be able to start your truck from anywhere via your phone, look into an aftermarket remote start like the Viper Smart Start. http://www.viper.com/smartstart/

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP are you actually looking for a full alarm?

you can do what you want in the aftermarket for under 200-250. get the DBALL kit, t-harness, and smartstart. i have used this many times. you will use your factory remote. you hit the lock button 3x and it will start. for longer range you use the smart start app.

like said above much cheaper i believe you can get like a 3 year basic plan on smart start for like 150 where u-connect is like 20 a month.

Also i dont believe you can add the u-connect to a dealer add-on "factory" remote start.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The add-on Mopar remote start does not work with UConnect. It's only available if your truck had remote start from the factory. Get yourself a 4x10 with T-harness and SmartStart module. It cost me a total of around $275 and an hour of my time.

My office is about 1/4 mile from where I park and being able to start my truck on my way out the door is awesome.

bolo1g2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fortin has the best module. I've done 2 and it's literally plug and play and takes 30 minutes. Youtube WarmCarNow. He has a great guide on what to do.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my wife was going to get the smartphone remote start for her cx 5,but it was stupidly expensive think it was around 5 or 6 hundred plus a yearly fee of 65 bucks for the app.she ended up just going with the fob start.you might want to look into the cost for rams.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my wife was going to get the smartphone remote start for her cx 5,but it was stupidly expensive think it was around 5 or 6 hundred plus a yearly fee of 65 bucks for the app.she ended up just going with the fob start.you might want to look into the cost for rams.

They get expensive when you cant just do a module, t-harness combo. then you have to throw a remote start unit in the mix also.

The idata, fortin, dball all have the software to start without the need of a remote start unit. they all are 30-60min installs.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I looked at this option as well but in the end went with the viper remote start alarm in my '15 1500. Very reliable and i can still use my factory key fob to arm/disarm. The LCD key pad works with 4 vehicles so i was able to use 1 remote for my wife's jeep too.

bolo1g2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fortin unit, plus flashing module and T-harness with all the connectors cost me $160 on Amazon. You can also get the smartphone module for extra cost. I didn't need that so I don't know the cost. Also with the fortin module they have updated the firmware so you do not lose the OEM key fob to program the remote start. So you get to keep both key fobs. On the old firmware you lost the function of the programming key fob due to the car thinking it was in the ignition. Just an FYI.

Racnrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The add-on Mopar remote start does not work with UConnect. It's only available if your truck had remote start from the factory. Get yourself a 4x10 with T-harness and SmartStart module. It cost me a total of around $275 and an hour of my time.

My office is about 1/4 mile from where I park and being able to start my truck on my way out the door is awesome.

Racnrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2015 Ram with factory remote start, if I add this I would be able to remote start from my cell phone?