Agonizing over what truck to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colin83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I've been flip flipping in what truck to get for months now. Hoping someone can provide their input and help me make a decision. So here's what I'll be doing with the truck.

It will be 100% driven for my business as a Retriever Trainer (waterfowl dogs). I plan to trade up in 5 years as business grows and I upgrade my trailer for higher capacity. Generally day to day I won't drive a far but the equipment will stay on the truck. I will do 3 - 10 hour trips this year and increase that progressively to long and farther trips each year. Reliability is Paramount when transporting dogs.

Equipment:
- stainless steel dog box
- dry 700#
- wet 1289# max
- bumper pull trailer with dog boxes and ATV
- dry 1600#
- wet 3000#
- axle is fairly far back so it gets a good amount of rouge weight.

My thoughts on what to get. Please disagree if you have something I haven't considered.

1. 2017 2500 w/ 6.4 L Hemi 18k - $34k
2. 2015 2509 w/ 5.7 L Hemi 15k - Listed at $29k but I wouldn't consider it unless he came down.

Please share your thoughts but keep in mind I'll be pulling the equipment all the time. I'm more concerned about a 1500 not holding up to the constant payload from the trailer and 1K # in the bed. I have a question into the dealer on the gearing of the 6.4 L but I'm not that concerned as I'm not pulling anything heavy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I think you’d be happier with the newer truck with the larger engine in the long run. What trim levels are they? Do options matter to you?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, I'd definitely go with a 2500 given the payload and tongue weight data you've provided.

The gearing data on both trucks is available on FCA's website. All you need is the VIN for each truck. Here is the link to the equipment listing website:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

The 6.4L will provide a bit more low end torque to get you, the truck and the load moving. If the 6.4L had a higher (numerically) differential gear set, such as a 3.91:1 or a 4.10:1 ratio, that's what I'd definitely pick.

Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
C

colin83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think you’d be happier with the newer truck with the larger engine in the long run. What trim levels are they? Do options matter to you?
Nah options don't really matter to me. I'm coming out of a 2004 slt 1500 with 230k miles so anything newish will have lots of bells and whistles to me.

OP
OP
C

colin83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, I'd definitely go with a 2500 given the payload and tongue weight data you've provided.

The gearing data on both trucks is available on FCA's website. All you need is the VIN for each truck. Here is the link to the equipment listing website:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

The 6.4L will provide a bit more low end torque to get you, the truck and the load moving. If the 6.4L had a higher (numerically) differential gear set, such as a 3.91:1 or a 4.10:1 ratio, that's what I'd definitely pick.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the links and info!!!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Glad to help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads