Anybody know what this was intended for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Just completed a Full Console swap in my 2011 Quad Cab, love the look and storage options.

Had to get a new center Radio bezel, (lucked out... got one of only two new ones in the US, but took a while to locate), upon receiving it I noticed on the bottom of the bezel there is what appears to be a slot for a courtesy / map type light. (see pics) Thought its a great idea as that is an area which is dark at night and having such illumination would be useful. Here's the issues though...... after long searches online, and visits to the local dealer, nobody has a clue, and the vehicles I've looked at.... its just an open rectangular slot.

Doesn't make sense that Ram would design such an opening which has an indentation for another "light" to click in and not actually use it.

Does anyone have this? Does yours have a light etc?

Pic / part number info would be great as well.

Thanks in advance to a great forum. IMG_6561.JPGIMG_6575.jpgIMG_6574.jpg

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came from the factory with the console like that and there's no light in it.

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have that same cutout in the console in my truck (came from a 2014 sport)

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have a 2014 Limited, and it has the same hole. No idea what it is intended for, but I did have a use for it recently.

I got a dash cam for Christmas, I ran the wires into the console, and had them coming out of that hole, going to my 12v outlet until I was able to get home and hardwire it in.

OP
OP
Socalramfan

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I'm thinking of following through and installing a small curtesy light, much like the overhead light onto the console. Nothing too bright though. I'll post a build when I do.

Thanks for the responses

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Socalramfan

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
emjohn4....... yes I would, everything it great shape.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Great spot to route cables through. I used it before route the LockPick remote sensor cabling.