Anyone know what's inside the door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Changed some things with the speakers and now the back doors have rattles. Thought it would be a simple task to hunt them down, but that's not the case. I took the panels totally off and played some music and when the bass hits, the rattle is coming from the circled area. I can't get my hand up in there to feel anything. I can't see anything that's could be rattling. And, I can't seem to find a door schematic or any online pics that's might show me whats in there. I don't want to totally pull apart then entire door but if someone knows what it could be and a simple fix, Id appreciate it. If not I guess I'll make a dealer trip and spend a day waiting for them to tell me it's nothing.

PS... the pic attached isn't my truck, just a good pic I found online. Door.jpg

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
had the same rattle and it turned out to be the rubber guide for the window track. I just grabbed some clear silicone and put it in the track (to adhere the rubber track to the metal rail) and zip tied it till it cured. fix the rattle for me. If you open that hole (the big square one) and grab the window track the very end is what was vibrating on mine.

OP
OP
clay282

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OK that does make some sense. When I opened the access door, I could see the bottom of that rubber guide / seal and it was pretty loose but on the bottom end but holding the bottom that I could access didn't stop the rattle. How did you get it out of the track to add the silicone?

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK that does make some sense. When I opened the access door, I could see the bottom of that rubber guide / seal and it was pretty loose but on the bottom end but holding the bottom that I could access didn't stop the rattle. How did you get it out of the track to add the silicone?

I only took the bottom out not the whole thing

OP
OP
clay282

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a similar rattle. Did you ever figure it out?

I never figured it out and it's worse than ever since I upgraded speakers. This side of taking the entire inner door panel off and taping and mating the guts, which doesn't look like an easy thing, I can't figure out how to shut the rattles up.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Take the door panel off and open the square access door. Turn the stereo on to recreate the rattle. Reach your arm inside the the access door and touch everything. Once your hand touches the source of the rattle the rattle will stop. Try everything roll window up and down etc.

OP
OP
clay282

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Take the door panel off and open the square access door. Turn the stereo on to recreate the rattle. Reach your arm inside the the access door and touch everything. Once your hand touches the source of the rattle the rattle will stop. Try everything roll window up and down etc.
You didn't really read my post did you? I did reach up in the door via the access panel. That's why I found a pic and circle the area... I found the rattle and it's up, INSIDE that area. I can't figure out how to access it and stop it. That's kinda why I asked for some help and suggestions.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
You didn't really read my post did you? I did reach up in the door via the access panel. That's why I found a pic and circle the area... I found the rattle and it's up, INSIDE that area. I can't figure out how to access it and stop it. That's kinda why I asked for some help and suggestions.
You said that you did not find the rattle. You located an area you believe it’s coming from. Where you able to stop the rattle but can’t reach it to fix. I understand how extremely frustrating it is to diagnose these things. I do high end audio for a living. Does the rattle sound like plastic on metal, metal on metal. Did you remove the panel on your truck where you circled on your demonstration picture? Areas where you can’t reach with your hand you can straiten a metal hanger and bend the the end of it then tie or electrical tape a rag on the end of it. That area of the door should be hollow but may have some foam pads in there. I can take mine apart tomorrow and stick a camera up there to see exactly what’s there.