Anyone rebuild their own transmission on here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey guys. So I've been watching a lot of trans rebuild videos lately on the 46RE, mine is kind of grinding sometimes at really low speeds even after a fluid change. So if (when) it gets worse I'll probably rebuild it.

I found a complete service manual book for the 46RE, and i also found a video by the company who makes that book detailing disassembly and reassembly of the 46RE.

It looks kind of simple, almost. Lots of moving parts, but still somewhat simple to do as long as you keep track of everything. Anybody have any expirence trying this themselves? I'd love to save $1400. :)

NorthTexasHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd have to kiss those $1400 goodbye, but I'm hardly a mechanic. Best I have done is help a buddy remove an engine and tranny from a Datsun Z. I'd love to be able to have those type of skills to rebuild a transmission.

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
Rebuilding a transmission appears to be an overwhelming task, but it is easier than it first appears. If you have a mechanical sense, the proper information and the proper tools I say go for it.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Rebuilding a transmission appears to be an overwhelming task it it is easier than it first appears. If you have a mechanical sense, the proper information and the proper tools I say go for it.

Yeah, I was nervous, then i started looking into it. It doesn't look complicated. Just looks like a lot of parts. I've done quite a bit of work on this truck, and I worked on motorcycles and small engines for years before that (and still do). I think if i took my time and played a LOT of attention to detail, i could do it. Im trying to get a better understanding of how automatic transmissions really work before i jump into it.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know cleanliness is very important, so keep a really clean bench as any little contamination can cause problems on reassembly.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
I know cleanliness is very important, so keep a really clean bench as any little contamination can cause problems on reassembly.

Yep. I have to get some sort of aluminium/steel pan to put down first. I have a wooden bench built for woodworking.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Cleanliness a torque wrench dial indicator and a press for the O/D unit that also requires a special tool. When your ready for your build message me and I will explain how to make the tool for a couple bucks and I would consider a couple upgrades while your in there