Bad engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harold Swanson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2003 ram with 4.7 engine that has dropped a valve seat, I don,t want go back with a 4.7. What are my options?:)

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Whatever fits in the engine bay and your wallet!

When doing an engine swap with a different engine, you need a lot of parts to be swapped out, namely the PCM, TCM, ECM, in some cases the tranny may not fit your newer engine choice, etc. That is aside from the obvious like Engine mounts and tranny mounts, and if you have a 4x4 it gets even more involved.

So as I have previously suggested to another member of the forum in a similar situation, in such cases if you can find a salvage truck that the body is toasted but the mechanics/electronics are in sound condition you can have both vehicle side by side and just grab the needed parts and swap them from one vehicle to another, and also it usually comes much much cheaper to source everything you need in this fashion. Otherwise you might be better off looking for another truck.

My 2 cents

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
What ever you do if you go with a 4.7 again make sure to get one from and for the Ram. Durango/dakota had a different crank? and will not run with the truck computer. Don't ask how I know.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Late 2002 and up dakota/durango 4.7 will have the correct engine to work with the ram. If the dakota/durango computer has 4 plugs then it will work. I have an 02 durango motor in my 05.

Going from a 4.7 to a 5.7 will cost a small fortune. 4.7 is cable driven throttle whereas hemi is electronic throttle. You can do it with a cheap donor truck or juat stay 4.7

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2