Bad speed sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dann607

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I recently bought this new 1996 dodge ram. I knew there was a problem with the shifting but figured it must be something stupid. So anyway I put a rebuilt transmission in to it and its been having the same shifting issues. It won't shift out of second until I let off the gas. Further more if I press on the gas to hard it will shift back to second automatically. The abs light is also on and its hard to press the brake. Now I have a feeling its got to be one of the speed sensors because those are red flags for a sensor going bad. I mean come on it is a 1996 that has been lifted and mudded a lot. So any ideas other than speed sensors? And no there is nothing wrong with the transmission it has done it with 2 transmissions now. Its got to be something els.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I recently bought this new 1996 dodge ram. I knew there was a problem with the shifting but figured it must be something stupid. So anyway I put a rebuilt transmission in to it and its been having the same shifting issues. It won't shift out of second until I let off the gas. Further more if I press on the gas to hard it will shift back to second automatically. The abs light is also on and its hard to press the brake. Now I have a feeling its got to be one of the speed sensors because those are red flags for a sensor going bad. I mean come on it is a 1996 that has been lifted and mudded a lot. So any ideas other than speed sensors? And no there is nothing wrong with the transmission it has done it with 2 transmissions now. Its got to be something els.

When you say it shifts back to second automatically you mean like the RPM's are just way too high and it kind scares you right? Mine does the same thing as well as having the shift the tranny into overdrive with my foot. I belive the speed sensor is easy to replace so im probably just gonna throw one in there and see if it does the trick.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
1st-3rd on a 46re is fully hydraulic and depends only on governer speed and throttle pressure. The only thing effected by the vss would be tcc lockup and o/d. I'd start by checking your TV adjustment

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Your vss would Also affect your speedometer. Make your speedo wander or be otherwise inaccurate. Without other symptoms I would have a hard time watching you put one in and wasting money

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
1st-3rd on a 46re is fully hydraulic and depends only on governer speed and throttle pressure. The only thing effected by the vss would be tcc lockup and o/d. I'd start by checking your TV adjustment

+1 This is where you need to start op.