Ball Joints - Boots Hitting Knuckle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did front ball joints on my 94 Ram 1500 5.2 2WD. I used Moog K7201 lower and K7206T upper. No problem with pressing them in. However, the rubber boots are quite a bit taller than the originals. When they are installed into the knuckle, the boots obviously compress, but they end up folding over on themselves & hitting the knuckle. The top is acceptable, but the bottom doesn't look good.

I actually got out my port & polish tools and rounded & smoothed all the sharp edges of the knuckles where to boots contact them. So, I think I'll be OK short term, but the bottom boots just don't seem right to me.

Has anyone run into this before? I plan on calling the Moog tech line tomorrow and hopefully get someone there to check out the pictures. It seems like I got the wrong boots.

Upper:
DodgeBallJoints5-6-12003.jpg

Lower:
DodgeBallJoints5-6-12001.jpg

DodgeBallJoints5-6-12002.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In case anyone is wondering, I spoke with Moog technical service this morning. The K7201 lower ball joints I purchased definitely came with the wrong boots. The correct boots should be much shorter and only compress a little at installation. They are sending out a new set of boots.

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok........................

OK what? I ran into a problem, posted to see if anyone ran into the issue before, got limited feedback, then posted my findings & the resolution. Maybe it will help someone out in the future. Then again, maybe nobody really cares if the boots on their ball joints are correct or not.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Looked Ok to me too However my experience is with the 3rd Gen and although I Like Moog I used OEM on mine. Some boots have a hard plastic washer in them with a bleed-off hole and that is where the rubber boot contacts so that was what I was thinking at first. Now I like your analogy on this and had I chimed in earlier would have suggested you compare with the other side, but obviously you have good mechanical abilities and was switched on enough to see there was a problem and with that smoothed out the contact surface for the interim fix.

I'm sure the folks that turn a wrench will appreciate the Info on this and at the same time I don't think johnny mean't any harm. This is a great forum too so keep up the posts.
Danny

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the NAPA Chasis Parts ball joints I pressed into my 96 had boots that bit a little better than that.