Battery Voltage erratic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hey all,

Last couple days I’ve been having some erratic behavior with my truck. Started that the light on the gear selector was flashing, then the lights on the window controls and garage door openers were flashing too, I even think my headlights were surging a bit. Yesterday I got a “low battery voltage” light on the dash, so I switched to the gauge display, and it was bouncing between 14-16v while driving, if I throw it into neutral, it levels out and stops all the flashing lights as well. It seems to only happen under load.

Would this be a battery issue? Or connection issue?

2017 Ram 1500 ecodiesel
Original battery from purchase
139,000 miles

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
How old is the battery? Did you have it load tested? If it's 3-4 years or older I'd suspect battery nowadays. A bad battery causes issues on these trucks. Of course check/clean the terminals too. With those miles and if the battery checks out could be alternator but I'd lean towards battery.

OP
OP
Shawn226

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
How old is the battery? Did you have it load tested? If it's 3-4 years or older I'd suspect battery nowadays. A bad battery causes issues on these trucks. Of course check/clean the terminals too. With those miles and if the battery checks out could be alternator but I'd lean towards battery.
It’s original battery, so 7 years old. I’m suspicious it’s the battery as well, just find it odd the trucks reading high-voltage but throwing a low battery volt warning. I’m guessing the alternator is just overcharging to make up for it? Anyhow I’ll end up at the battery place today and have them check and replace if necessary. Just didn’t wanna throw a new battery in it if it was not the problem

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
7 yrs! Time to go to Walmart and get yourself an AGM Battery. 4 yr warranty and the best price around. Check store availability. They sell out pretty quick. I had to go to 2 stores to get mine.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That 7 year old battery is definitely going out with the voltage bouncing around like it is.
My original battery lasted six years and died without any warning or any crazy things happening before it died

OP
OP
Shawn226

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
So wanted to update y’all. I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago, and I replaced the alternator today. it took a **** yesterday and luckily rockauto had a couple, because everywhere else was not in stock. Truck was only down for 24 hours in total

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is your truck stock? Any aftermarket mods like Alarm system, LED lights, Remote start, Fans, etc? Those are known to *potentially* lead to electrical headaches.