Bed Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Njones125

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello, New to the forum I just picked up a 2015 2500 with the 6.4 and a short box for a great deal because the bed is damaged. I found a bed from a 2019/2500 locally, will this be a direct swap? I am finding most information saying I need a bed from 2013-2018. Some saying 2010-2019. Does anyone know for sure if this bed will fit or not. Thanks.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It's gotta be 18 or older

Blue Mule

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello, New to the forum I just picked up a 2015 2500 with the 6.4 and a short box for a great deal because the bed is damaged. I found a bed from a 2019/2500 locally, will this be a direct swap? I am finding most information saying I need a bed from 2013-2018. Some saying 2010-2019. Does anyone know for sure if this bed will fit or not. Thanks.
Will it fit and bolt right up? Yes
Is it a direct swap? No
This is because the new tailgate handle is not a mechanical release lever, but a switch with release actuators. You would have to switch some wires around on the BCM. The new camera is digital, so it would not work. You would have to fabricate your existing camera into the new tailgate handle. You would also have to use your existing tail lights, because the new ones have actual turn signal wires instead of combined rear lighting. You could use the new tail lights, but you would have to add the turn signal wires from the BCM and activate them.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Will it fit and bolt right up? Yes
Is it a direct swap? No
This is because the new tailgate handle is not a mechanical release lever, but a switch with release actuators. You would have to switch some wires around on the BCM. The new camera is digital, so it would not work. You would have to fabricate your existing camera into the new tailgate handle. You would also have to use your existing tail lights, because the new ones have actual turn signal wires instead of combined rear lighting. You could use the new tail lights, but you would have to add the turn signal wires from the BCM and activate them.
All that seems to be moot if he’s just after the bed. If the tail lights, wiring, and tail gate are in tact, it should work, as long as the tail gate latches are the same (I dont know if they are or not).

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All that seems to be moot if he’s just after the bed. If the tail lights, wiring, and tail gate are in tact, it should work, as long as the tail gate latches are the same (I dont know if they are or not).
They are not. The new bed would require fabrication to accept the old tailgate. The old tailgate handle can not be swapped over to the new one either, because the hole for the handle in the new tailgate is much bigger. Sure, it’s easy to just tell someone it won’t work, but inevitably, someone is going to come across this thread and wonder exactly why. I simply gave some details on the differences, and the extra wiring and programming work that needs to be done for a full swap.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
They are not. The new bed would require fabrication to accept the old tailgate. The old tailgate handle can not be swapped over to the new one either, because the hole for the handle in the new tailgate is much bigger. Sure, it’s easy to just tell someone it won’t work, but inevitably, someone is going to come across this thread and wonder exactly why. I simply gave some details on the differences, and the extra wiring and programming work that needs to be done for a full swap.
Ah, if the mounts for the tailgate are different then yeah, more headache than it’s worth.

Ben Ankrum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
New to the forum so not sure about the protocol for tagging on to this thread with questions about a similar situation.

I recently purchased a 2016 2500 Tradesman 6.7 with an 8 ft. bed. It came from fleet service and had a new bed but no hitch or tailgate. After "de-modding" the welded on frame brackets for whatever hitch was on it previously, I was able to add a factory hitch and bumper. However, when purchasing a 2016 tailgate out of salvage I learned that the bed is a 2020 bed (the salvage yard RMA'd and refunded the 2016 tailgate). I realized that a bed-compatible tailgate would not be truck compatible (latch and camera) but decided to go forward with a 2020 tailgate purchased out of surplus (NTO).

Posts from Jimmy07 and IRSmart have confirmed my observations about the challenges ahead for me in trying to make this 5th gen box/tailgate work with my 4th gen truck. My Tradesman has UConnect 5.0 as well as ParkSense and ParkView

Any help or advice on how to proceed will be deeply appreciated!