Bilstein Shocks...lift kit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wondering....should I replace my stock shocks with Bilsteins? Would this give me a much better ride? I don't have a lift kit..just a front leveling kit.

I was thinking of doing a lift kit...question is...I've heard many people tell me it destroys your truck and you'll be replacing parts like crazy after doing a suspension lift. Is this true?

If I were to do a lift kit...what you suggest I get for my 2010 Ram Sport 4x4?

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was wondering....should I replace my stock shocks with Bilsteins? Would this give me a much better ride? I don't have a lift kit..just a front leveling kit.

I was thinking of doing a lift kit...question is...I've heard many people tell me it destroys your truck and you'll be replacing parts like crazy after doing a suspension lift. Is this true?

If I were to do a lift kit...what you suggest I get for my 2010 Ram Sport 4x4?
I had a 2.5" ProComp level in the front before I switched to a 6" lift with bilsteins. Let's just say the truck rides significantly better now than it did before. If you were to get the bilsteins now, you could keep them on and adjust them accordingly after you install a suspension lift to level out any rake the lift may leave.

If you get a decent kit and have it installed properly, the issues you are likely to be running into will be rather minimal (generally additional wear which as far as I know isn't that significant depending on the kit) - unless you beat on it of course, you'll be breaking parts either way. You can't really generalize lift kits and immediately say that they're going to literally destroy a truck it's installed on; there's so many different brands, different methods of lifting, not to mention so many different trucks just as well (I'm assuming these people you've spoken to are not speaking in regards to lifts 4th gen 1/2 ton Rams, but lifts for pickups in general?).

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifting your truck is absolutely fine.

Like Revo said as long as your not beating on it you should get some long term use. Sure, if you take it out jumping daily your truck's gonna go to **** regardless of aftermarket lift kit installed or not. Proper installation is of course key to longevity as well.

The new lift kits these companies are producing these days are made exceptionally well with lots of r&d behind them.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You can certainly install Bilsteins now for a better ride quality but you'll be removing your spacers when you do it. Just so there's no confusion there.... you can't stack a spacer on top of Bilsteins for additional lift.

As the others above mentioned, there's absolutely no issues with putting on a proper lift kit. If you buy a good quality kit you will end up with a better ride than stock and won't have any issues with replacing parts like crazy (unless you're beating on your truck like crazy). BDS even offers a full no fine print warranty for their lifts that also covers anything that breaks on the truck that the dealer deny's to fix under warranty because of the lift kit. There's a number of options out there for lifts (height, brands, components, etc.) Do you have a bit of an idea of where you want to head with the build?

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can certainly install Bilsteins now for a better ride quality but you'll be removing your spacers when you do it. Just so there's no confusion there.... you can't stack a spacer on top of Bilsteins for additional lift.

As the others above mentioned, there's absolutely no issues with putting on a proper lift kit. If you buy a good quality kit you will end up with a better ride than stock and won't have any issues with replacing parts like crazy (unless you're beating on your truck like crazy). BDS even offers a full no fine print warranty for their lifts that also covers anything that breaks on the truck that the dealer deny's to fix under warranty because of the lift kit. There's a number of options out there for lifts (height, brands, components, etc.) Do you have a bit of an idea of where you want to head with the build?

You can't stack a spacer on a Bilstein 5100 leveling strut. However, a spacer leveling kit can be used with a Bilstein 4600 strut which isn't a leveling strut.

OP, I suggest throwing away the spacer kit and using the 5100 leveling strut for your level. I did just that a few weeks ago. Had a factory strut puke it's oil out. I had a spacer leveling kit in it. Cause of failure or just a coincidence? I've read other stories on here about strut failure with spacer leveling kits too.
The ride with the Bilsteins is way way better than factory struts.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Well...I would love to hear suggestions for my truck. 2010 Ram Sport with 35" x 12.5" Toyo Open Country M/T currently. I'd like to lift 6" at least...maybe 8? I need to know approximate costs and what would be a GOOD lift kit to use. Thanks!

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can't stack a spacer on a Bilstein 5100 leveling strut. However, a spacer leveling kit can be used with a Bilstein 4600 strut which isn't a leveling strut.

OP, I suggest throwing away the spacer kit and using the 5100 leveling strut for your level. I did just that a few weeks ago. Had a factory strut puke it's oil out. I had a spacer leveling kit in it. Cause of failure or just a coincidence? I've read other stories on here about strut failure with spacer leveling kits too.
The ride with the Bilsteins is way way better than factory struts.

If I take the spacers out...will I be able to raise the front and back accordingly so the truck looks like it still has the forward/downward rake that it came with from factory...just 2.5" higher? If that's the case I'll definitely do it! I don't NEED a lift...but like many others I'd like one!...but I can wait.

How much should I expect to get 4 struts for my truck? AutoAnything.com still the cheapest place?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Well...I would love to hear suggestions for my truck. 2010 Ram Sport with 35" x 12.5" Toyo Open Country M/T currently. I'd like to lift 6" at least...maybe 8? I need to know approximate costs and what would be a GOOD lift kit to use. Thanks!

The most common setup that I recommend to guys is a Zone 6" lift with 5" rear coils and Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts set at 2.1" to level out the truck. That will give you around 7" of front end lift total. The Zone kit is the best "bang for your buck" kit available IMO. Gives you good quality components for reasonable price. If you have the budget a BDS kit would be the next step up.