Build plan, many questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dojonono

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone,

I’m starting my build and looking for some input with questions I have. I have A 2020 ram Laramie longhorn 4wd. It has stock 22” inch rims and e-torque.

Going with dobinsons ims 2.5” lift

I’m putting a mid height towa rack on with a cover and a roof top tent ( Jerry cans and a diesel heater so I’m going with the heavier springs. I always hve a ton of work gear and tools in my truck so I think I’ll need it.

Considering a good set of upper control arms at the moment for the maximum adjustability but may go with a cheaper version. (Open to suggestions)

I’m going with method rims as I’ll be doing some off reading and maybe some beach trips with 35” tires. What I’m seeing that fits says 9” wide.

When I was Looking at suspension lift differences I came Up with a few questions.

They have differences listed such as e torque models most suspension kits will not work. I think It was bell tech that mentions this, any idea why?

Additionally, I see That stock 22” rims have a bigger hub. Will my oem hub be ok for this set up?

Do I need To get diff brackets? Any idea which?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I see That stock 22” rims have a bigger hub. Will my oem hub be ok for this set up?
What are you referring to by larger hub? All of the OEM rims for the DT body trucks are interchangeable with each other. Only the Rebel and TRX use a different tire diameter size that would require a speedo calibration.

OP
OP
D

Dojonono

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My question stems from looking at BDS suspension lift. They require you to state whether you have 22” rims or not because you have a larger steering nuckle bore. I miss spoke previously.

OP
OP
D

Dojonono

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know They are lowering the suspension so that’s why they require it but it made me second guess whether oem ones have a weak point.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
What are you referring to by larger hub? All of the OEM rims for the DT body trucks are interchangeable with each other. Only the Rebel and TRX use a different tire diameter size that would require a speedo calibration.
Negative factory 20’s have smaller hubs. Trucks that come with 22’s are larger. The lug pattern is the same but the hole in the center of the steering knuckles that hold the hubs are different

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would never put a cheap part, or should i say 'Less Costly'
part or hardware on the Suspension.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Negative factory 20’s have smaller hubs. Trucks that come with 22’s are larger. The lug pattern is the same but the hole in the center of the steering knuckles that hold the hubs are different
Seems odd that there would be something different based just for a rim size, a different trim level like the TRX would make sense the there would be different size/type hubs.
Just clear up the air, I'm referring to the part of the hub the rim mounts to, I believe your referring to the actual wheel hub assembly where the bearings reside inside.
I think only the HD dually trucks rely on the rims to be hub-centric as they don't use an acorn style lug nut.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems odd that there would be something different based just for a rim size, a different trim level like the TRX would make sense the there would be different size/type hubs.
Just clear up the air, I'm referring to the part of the hub the rim mounts to, I believe your referring to the actual wheel hub assembly where the bearings reside inside.
I think only the HD dually trucks rely on the rims to be hub-centric as they don't use an acorn style lug nut.
It may seem odd, but there is. The OP was questioning why bds cared about rim size, and quickshifter stated their reasoning. But yes, the bolt pattern is the same and the rims will still fit.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nevermind.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lifting the front more than the rest will level the truck but then you can be nose high when you carry all your tools and gear. The lift itself will change the handling to begin with and then your additional weight higher up in your bed will exacerbate any sense of sway or sponginess. You might want to add all of your gear first to get a feeling for how it handles with weight difference, then do lift so you can then know the difference and can adjust accordingly.