Buying Used 5.7 Hemi 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guy - first post for me so be kind

Seen Nice 4x4 5.7 Hemi Quad cab here in the UK 111K miles.

Problem was I saw very slight Mayo on the Oil Cap threads (very slight but with drips in the very top of cap and slight vapour when engine shut down). We had a deal but I have walked away until tomorrow. The sides of the cap had a kind of crusty yelllow deposit but like a fine skim and not built up.
Oil was clear and looked new. Coolant showed no oil in it.
It was a cold day and the truck is a repossession so has been off the road for about three months with two starts of 45 mins to an hour.

So how do I know if it has had bigger signs of blown head gasket or worse and just been cleaned up for a sale - new coolant and oil and a wipe of the muck off? Or is it normal and well maintained with just a slight condensation? I'm 50/50 due to the off road status.

The seller only bought to re-sell as he buys repo's and claims to know nothing more than the basics. I said a sniff test would be a good idea but he called a mechanic to say most engines will fail this anyway even if good?

I read that vapour build is common on 4.7 but less on a 5.7. It was a cold day and the smoke / steam out the mufflers reduced to near nothing after 40 mins idle and revving.

What's the next thing to do try or look for?

Also build date on door sticker says 2003. Vin says it's 2004. First registration says 2005. I know it's imprted to the UK but which of these is the actual model year?

thanks

OP
OP
toyv84x4

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
another thing is all the engine pulleys were rusted making all the belts have rust dust on them. The front crossbar was also rusty compared to the rest of the frame which looks to be covered in a rubberised paint.

Why would all the pulleys be rusted on the front face? Driving in rain or some constant leak from water pumps or radiator?

RedRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't have all the answers but I personally wouldn't give a dime for it. Too many red flags as you already know. I don't buy anything with unfamiliar signs of rust or "Mayo"...

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Condensation on the inside of the oil fill cap is normal. I have NEVER cleaned mine and it has a **** built up on it. I've never had any head gasket issues. If the seller is trying to hide something its possible to clear the diagnostic trouble codes. If they don't want you to take it for a test drive I would be suspicious.
IMG_20141205_123214550_HDR_zpsa900e3ce.jpg"]IMG_20141205_123214550_HDR_zpsa900e3ce.jpg[/URL]

IDK, I think mine looks a little more like Dijon.

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
If you have a diagnostic reader can can check how many miles ago the codes were cleared too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toyv84x4

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Guys
I will assume the vapour drops were acceptable as it was water drips in the very top of the cap. Only a small amount of water makes it go yellow / white even if not heated and yellow was only on the thread and not in the cap; I added oil and water in a coke bottle just now and it went the same yellow white instantly so I'm ruling this out as an indicator as no build up of foam.

I remember the smell though. Strong but think it's normal gasoline combustion smell. Can't remember as had diesels for last 8 years.

I think next test will be to run it with the rad cap off from cold and look for gases.

I know that if any gasket weld / sealer has been poured into the system it may be fine for all tests and even a test drive for a hundred miles.

I can't test drive it either as it's off road but may push for this but may not reveal the truth?

Rusty pulley faces??? Only complaints I can find about this is on boat engines??

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I forgot to mention that the model year will be the 10th digit of the VIN. Its possible that if the truck saw a lot of off-roading they used a hose to spray mud off the front of the engine causing it to rust. Maybe take a look behind the air filter to see if there are any sings of mud. It could simply be that the previous owner lived near the coast and drove on the beach? That might explain why the undercarriage was rust proofed. Here in the states the tensioner and idler pulleys are inexpensive to replace.

OP
OP
toyv84x4

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have purchased the truck after striking a deal over my concerns.
Have covered 300 miles and so far so good. Addictive drive and acceleration from that roaring hemi.
Running fine in both LPG and Gasoline. No more mayo - that must have been vapour as completely clean now.
Noticed a slight tick but have read the posts on ticking Hemi and has got no worse and is more like a faint tick only audible because the Hemi is so quiet and smooth. May be in the header but really no concern yet but I will listen out to see any change. Of course time will tell on this purchase.
Needs front pads (yellow stuff ordered) as the indicators were grating on the discs but everything else works! Coolant could do with a change and a flush of the system as bit rusty shade although means it probably hasn't been pushed out and replaced for a while so cooling is likely untouched. I will probably change all lubricants and full service to give it / me the best start and clean slate for the future. Oil is like new.
Black roaring Hemi quad 4x4 is addictive enough that if anything fails I will repair it without question as long as the budget allows.
Thanks.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck with it. Sounds like that truck found you to take care of it just in time!

Steve1500ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just thought I'd say hi as I'm also in the UK ( Buckinghamshire ) and have a 2005 5.7 Hemi 4x4 running on LPG, whereabouts are you in the UK?
I've done a coolant and thermostat change, plus changed the spark plugs, so if you are planning to do either of these and need advise then just ask.
Can I ask if your yellow engine management light is on? Mine is and I have been told this could be down to it running on LPG, (the codes it's giving me is for O2 sensors )

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Guy - first post for me so be kind

Seen Nice 4x4 5.7 Hemi Quad cab here in the UK 111K miles.

Problem was I saw very slight Mayo on the Oil Cap threads (very slight but with drips in the very top of cap and slight vapour when engine shut down). We had a deal but I have walked away until tomorrow. The sides of the cap had a kind of crusty yelllow deposit but like a fine skim and not built up.
Oil was clear and looked new. Coolant showed no oil in it.
It was a cold day and the truck is a repossession so has been off the road for about three months with two starts of 45 mins to an hour.

So how do I know if it has had bigger signs of blown head gasket or worse and just been cleaned up for a sale - new coolant and oil and a wipe of the muck off? Or is it normal and well maintained with just a slight condensation? I'm 50/50 due to the off road status.

The seller only bought to re-sell as he buys repo's and claims to know nothing more than the basics. I said a sniff test would be a good idea but he called a mechanic to say most engines will fail this anyway even if good?

I read that vapour build is common on 4.7 but less on a 5.7. It was a cold day and the smoke / steam out the mufflers reduced to near nothing after 40 mins idle and revving.

What's the next thing to do try or look for?

Also build date on door sticker says 2003. Vin says it's 2004. First registration says 2005. I know it's imprted to the UK but which of these is the actual model year?

thanks

:waytogo::welcome::pepper: Congrats on your new to you truck. Where in the UK are you? I was born in Hastings. Came to the USA when I was 2 years old.

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
Should have any lights on because of the lpg, might need a new sensor. I have mine on lpg and on long trips I get the odd injector fault but doesn't effect how it runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toyv84x4

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Guys
I'm Essex Kent area. I'm a sucker for maintenance as I have never paid a shop to do any work on a car or truck so looks like the forum and all your experience will help a lot with issues.

Looking at the coolant today it doesn't appear as bad as I thought, in fact it all appears better now I'm clocking up miles without issues. The gamble is good for now at least.

Regarding LPG, I imagine it will cause an issue now and again but a code doesn't mean replace a sensor but determine what is causing the trigger. I think it could be a number of things not necessarily LPG. I fear the combination of higher miles and running LPG on what I purchased but I can't advise at this early stage.

What make of LPG kit do you have? Mine is a BRC setup. Most people appear to have Prinns?

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
Yes mines a prins but i do know another guy with a BRC setup. Depending on which sensor it is it could need replacing since the lpg burns hotter and some items are known to fail sooner such as spark plugs. Im fitting NGK irradiums soon, i know a few running these in hemi's with lpg and swear by them.