Cam/parts recommendation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck has just over 60k on it, long tube headers and cat back exhaust.
Intended use, mostly cruising and car shows, with a few runs down the strip mostly just for fun. I won't be racing on a regular basis.
I'm considering a cam swap. I think I mostly want that sweet choppy idle, a little performance upgrade would be good, but I don't want to completely destroy the fuel mileage, or transmission.
I'm looking at the MMX and Texas Speed (Comp cams?), plus Moes sells one.
Other than the cam and non MDS lifters (newer ones with larger roller bearings) solenoid plugs, gaskets, head bolts, and springs/seals, what else do I need?
Push rods? Do I really need the cam phaser?
I will swap a 6.4 intake at the same time, so I know I will need a tune.
Anything I'm forgetting?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Saving for 8spd conversion ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Truck has just over 60k on it, long tube headers and cat back exhaust.
Intended use, mostly cruising and car shows, with a few runs down the strip mostly just for fun. I won't be racing on a regular basis.
I'm considering a cam swap. I think I mostly want that sweet choppy idle, a little performance upgrade would be good, but I don't want to completely destroy the fuel mileage, or transmission.
I'm looking at the MMX and Texas Speed (Comp cams?), plus Moes sells one.
Other than the cam and non MDS lifters (newer ones with larger roller bearings) solenoid plugs, gaskets, head bolts, and springs/seals, what else do I need?
Push rods? Do I really need the cam phaser?
I will swap a 6.4 intake at the same time, so I know I will need a tune.
Anything I'm forgetting?
Phazer lock-out will depend on your cam,I'd also look at a set of Trend pushrods if you're throwing stiffer springs in it ,plus a new cam bolt.
Roger Stanke sells billet MDS block off plugs that are re-usable,but they're noticably more money then the factory plastic versions.I've had Rogers aluminium versions in my truck since 2015 and they've never leaked or gave me any issues,same with the Trend push rods,and my truck see's alot of dragstrip use,with shifts at 6600 rpm

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. I go with the cam mfrs recommendation on the Phazer. Not necessarily stiffer springs, just new ones, not going with a really big cam, or planning to exceed red line on the motor. Bolt added to list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat