charging voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

therocknj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replaced my battery in 18 ram 1500. when running it seems to be charging at a higher voltage. The volt gauge used to read at the halfway point before and now it is closer to the 3/4 mark now.
I checked with a voltage meter and i get 14.5 - 14.7 volts when started up and also after using the truck for a while. I made sure the battery was fully charged before i installed it.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Depending if where you purchased the battery if they perform maintenance themselves or just have them rotated back to the supplier near expiration .

You should probably test the battery yourself to see if it holds a charge by hooking up a trickle charger and running it overnight and see if things improve, This is more easily preformed indoors .

When I purchase a battery I have been fortunate enough to not have one go complexly Tango Uniform

Before installing the battery myself I charge it for around 24 hours on a microprocessor chipped “smart charger” and see if the charge holds and steadies to 12.9V

AGM batteries are vehicle programmed to undercharged to extend battery life Our trucks have a smart sensor in CANbus that signals when the battery should accept the charge from the alternator.

One of the dealer prep items is battery maintenance and is often overlooked to save dealer overhead where large inventories are stored .

14.7 seems a little high in my opinion mine usually runs 13.7 when driving .. alternators are the main cause for battery failures as well as batteries the main cause for failures with alternators.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure with chrysler products but a lot of vehicles need to have a battery relearn when you change them. As the battery ages the pcm adjusts how much voltage the alternator puts out. Quite common on BMW and other euro brands.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
My reason for writing what I did: the generic Volts with system (vehicle) running. is posted on most sites as 13.5-14.5. The extra .2 in your post could just be the accuracy of the gauge used? Still looks ok to me. So, what is the question?

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
What was the voltage after being fully charged initially after being off of the charger for a 1/2 hour or so? What is the static voltage after driving the truck after a 1/2 hour with the engine off? Both readings should be in the range of 12.6 to 12.7 volts. 14.7 is on the higher side but nothing to worry about IMO. Do you have the higher output alternator (optional) on your truck? I wish battery voltage was selectable in the EVIC on my truck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I just replaced my battery in 18 ram 1500. when running it seems to be charging at a higher voltage. The volt gauge used to read at the halfway point before and now it is closer to the 3/4 mark now.
I checked with a voltage meter and i get 14.5 - 14.7 volts when started up and also after using the truck for a while. I made sure the battery was fully charged before i installed it.
Read this. Your charge range is just fine. There is a sensor, IBS sensor, on the negative post that tells the system how many volts to output depending on your Batteries state of charge. Attached is the IBS explanation. Also tells you how to properly attach a charger to our batteries.

Attachments

• Battery IBS and Charging.pdf
    873.7 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
T

therocknj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just concerned that the factory gauge was reading a little over half way and now it is closer to the three quarter mark when engine is running.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Read the first post, he already checked it at the battery with a voltmeter. That was why he was concerned in the first place.
My bad Thx. That is what I get for responding early without my coffee even when I mentioned his voltage in a previous post. I deleted my post.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My bad Thx. That is what I get for responding early without my coffee even when I mentioned his voltage in a previous post. I deleted my post.
Really not a big deal, done it more than once myself. How do you actually completely delete the post? I put a period in mine to get rid of the content but don't see full delete anywhere.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
It had "delete" as an option next to the edit option.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Interesting, I have never seen delete pop up as an option.

This is a screen shot of this most recent post, Edit, no delete option. Wonder why yours is different.

1704214009040.png

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting, I have never seen delete pop up as an option.

This is a screen shot of this most recent post, Edit, no delete option. Wonder why yours is different.

Maybe, the delete button disappears after X minutes, I've never noticed it either.

We should look immediately after our next post.

Nope, no delete button immediately after this post. quickster2 must be special. :cool:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Maybe, the delete button disappears after X minutes, I've never noticed it either.

We should look immediately after our next post.

Thought about that, it is why I posted the screen shot taken immediately after I made the post. Still no delete button.

P.S. 30 seconds later, not one on this post either.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So, one of the Mods was kind enough to solve the mystery. Thanks for the info.

If you are a "Supporting Member" the delete option shows up, not a supporting member, edit only access. Kind of cool, would have never thought of that as one of the perks.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, one of the Mods was kind enough to solve the mystery. Thanks for the info.

If you are a "Supporting Member" the delete option shows up, not a supporting member, edit only access. Kind of cool, would have never thought of that as one of the perks.

I told ya he was special.

If I recall correctly, my last hangout (tenforums.com) granted that feature after attaining a particular level of experience, I knew the software was capable.

We common folk will have to continue cluttering up the site with a single period (.) when we delete our posts. :cool: