Cluster calibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those of you that have upgraded to a premium cluster, what have you done while it was getting programmed? I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone even remotely close to me as I was hoping to go directly to them and then swap in the parking lot. Having a hard time thinking about how I am going to go without a truck while it is out for 2+ days.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I drove my Jeep, and left the Ram parked. I've heard some people just over shoot the mileage and carry the new cluster around until they hit the miles they had it programmed to.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Buy a cluster with miles more than yours... when you hit that mileage swap your new cluster in...

No other way around it other than the online swap system

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at one that had roughly 3k more but someone got it before I could. Now I found another 2015 Big Horn with about 4k more. I thought about just driving around until I hit the difference but read about the engine hours run/idle and I don't think I could get them to match too.

Brew99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do end up sending it out, there are only a few of the companies that will change the run/idle time, many don't have the ability. Personally, I'm just waiting until I hit the mileage, then doing the swap (not going to worry about the engine times). I'm in Canada, and the places I contacted wanted $400 to do it, so I passed on that one, and sending to the US was again going to come to about the same cost including the exchange and shipping.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my DMV wasn't too helpful. I asked about changing out the cluster when the mileage reached the one I was purchasing and they looked at me dumbfounded. It was like I was speaking another language. lol I asked if there was a form I could take somewhere to have certified of the mileage that was on my current odometer and then the odometer I was replacing it with...once again I confused the crap out of them. They said they've never heard of such a thing. o_O

They did say it was the mileage that mattered not the hours.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will the CPU/pcm hold mileage as well or is the only way of knowing the true mileage by the cluster?

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will the CPU/pcm hold mileage as well or is the only way of knowing the true mileage by the cluster?
I've read somewhere that the miles are also stored in the PCM and yes, taken to a dealer or someone of the like can read it from there as well to see if there is a discrepancy.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not saying I'd do it but I heard of a guy who knows a guy that can somehow manipulate PCM to read a different mileage... Wonder how he does that? Guess a tuner can do the same thing

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah there’s a case about a guy who had tampered with quite a few vehicles somewhere here in Virginia. He’s getting ready to face some pretty hefty fines. 250,000 to 550,000 and maybe jail time I think? Not sure about the jail time though...

I wouldn’t do it either lol

Edit: Read that wrong. He’s caused that much in damages.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my new to me cluster in today! Put it in real quick to make sure it was working. Below are a couple shots. Going to wait till it reaches the 18,050 mark on my current one then swap out with time stamped pictures and whatever else I can think of. According to my local DMV that should be more than adequate.

IMG_3906.jpg IMG_3907.jpg

Brew99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, that's my plan also. Going to wait till I hit the 15,344km mark, then take multiple photos of the new and old clusters as I do the swap.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think it was around $175. If I remember correctly I paid shipping to them, they paid return shipping.

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
Only 2 places your mileage is stored in the instrument cLuster and the thansmision. They both have chips on them that store the mileage.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Realizing that if the cluster was replaced by a Chrysler technician they'd have to set all the values to the original, I asked my dealer service manager what they'd charge me if I did the replacement myself and he said $49.95+tax. That's what they charge to program a new FOB. Apparently it only takes a few minutes.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 072223 miles.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Realizing that if the cluster was replaced by a Chrysler technician they'd have to set all the values to the original, I asked my dealer service manager what they'd charge me if I did the replacement myself and he said $49.95+tax. That's what they charge to program a new FOB. Apparently it only takes a few minutes.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 072223 miles.
Just goes to show you the difference in dealers. Mine said it was not possible to switch as it would require the same sent from the factory. He was shocked to see the one I purchased powered up and working and quickly advised against using it as it could cause something else to quit working. :emotions34:

I didn't even say anything past that. Pretty much walked out as I knew there would be no talking way of working with him and yes, that was the service manager.

Brew99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Regards,
Dusty

I wonder if this info is correct though. Many posts on here have suggested that the dealer doesn't have access to programming the cluster, but can do the PCM. This is why the dealer needs to send the cluster out (even if new) to get done at a 3rd party.

I know my dealer just stared with a blank face when I asked about it.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if this info is correct though. Many posts on here have suggested that the dealer doesn't have access to programming the cluster, but can do the PCM. This is why the dealer needs to send the cluster out (even if new) to get done at a 3rd party.

I know my dealer just stared with a blank face when I asked about it.

After looking at the service manual procedure for the cluster replacement, I had a second query after talking to a Chrysler/Ram technician to confirm what I was told. It appears my original question was misunderstood due to ME not being very clear. What the tech. told me was confirmed by a parts advisor, and that is the cluster (new or otherwise) is sent out to a service located in Syracuse, New York, to have the mileage synchronized with the one being replaced.

I am also suspect the other item that would need to be synchronized are the engine hours, although that has not been confirmed.

For those contemplating an replacement or upgrade, a note in the service manual explains how to sync. the cluster to a vehicles equipment configuration:

NOTE: Certain indicators in this instrument cluster are automatically configured. This feature allows those indicators to be activated or deactivated for compatibility with certain optional equipment. If a problem is noted that involves improper illumination of the cruise indicator, the electronic throttle control indicator, the fog lamp indicator, any of the four-wheel drive indicators, the overdrive OFF indicator, the tow/haul indicator, the transmission overtemp indicator, the security indicator or the gear selector indicator, disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. After five minutes, reconnect the battery negative cable and turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The instrument cluster should automatically relearn the equipment configuration in the vehicle and properly configure the cluster.

My apologies for adding to any confusion. Hope this is helpful.
Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 072733 miles.