Coolant Leak - Replaced water pump, still messed up... Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blakeaf96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today I finished putting everything back together from replacing the water pump on my 5.2L Ram 1500. Filled it up with coolant, cranked it, and it's still spurting/dripping antifreeze pretty bad. I did put the new gasket, etc on it and everything is good and tight. What else could I be looking at? It throws the coolant everywhere, especially on the left side of the truck facing the engine from the outside.

Saltyf15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Have you checked all your hoses, maybe a freeze plug or possibly bad radiator or even bad seal on water pump! Just a few places I would check first. Good luck!

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That ^ could also be the water pump bypass hose. The short little hose behind the water pump. Or the o ring on the metal part that goes into the water pump on drivers side. Could also simply be the water pump gasket not sealing good. I used rtv on mine. But I had to redo it twice. Because I didn't get it good enough.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Timing cover too.

If the timing cover is leaking bad enough to throw the water though, he would notice a significant amount of belt chirp from the water pump not being aligned on the belt route right?

Also, if you changed your thermostat it could be a bad seal on the filler neck. Other than that, plus one to everything everyone else has said. You have to allow a significant amount of time to pass so that the rtv or whatever you used to seal the gaskets can set up correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

blakeaf96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the help! I was able to fix it. I took it all back apart and could see where the antifreeze was coming out where the big hose hooks in on the top of the water pump. It didn't have a clamp on it and was leaking pretty bad without it. I appreciate the help from everyone! And yes, this gasket on these water pumps are a pain :)

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Nice job! This is something I need to do too. When trucks cold I got a slight leak from either the timing cover or that hose on top the pump. Idk bit I'm treating all that apart here on a few weeks anyways so I'll find out then. Just checked coolant level yesterday and after 3 weeks of not checking I still got 4 inches in the bottom of reservoir and radiators full. Very slight leak