Coolant System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Made a post similar to this one, I've noticed my coolant temp doest get above 90c during these winter months, temperature is anywhere from -3 to -20. Curious to know if this is a tstat issue. Truck is a 14, crew cab, 5.7, with active grill shutters. Checked coolant and it looks clean with no residue on the rad cap, expansion tank is the same, heat works good. I heard replacing tstat is fairly easy and doest take long at all, if so what is the proper way to bleed the air from the system and what tstat is best.

Cheers

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Made a post similar to this one, I've noticed my coolant temp doest get above 90c during these winter months, temperature is anywhere from -3 to -20. Curious to know if this is a tstat issue. Truck is a 14, crew cab, 5.7, with active grill shutters. Checked coolant and it looks clean with no residue on the rad cap, expansion tank is the same, heat works good. I heard replacing tstat is fairly easy and doest take long at all, if so what is the proper way to bleed the air from the system and what tstat is best.

Cheers
90C is 194F , that's not really uncommon temps with a 203 t-stat in the winter,especially on slower and shorter trips.You could change it,but you might not see much differance ,if it was my truck,i wouldn't be to worried

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Cheers

If it's not throwing a code, it's within tolerance. It'll throw an emissions code if it doesn't reach what it considers operating temp within 20 minutes. My son's truck just started doing that.

Changing the thermostat's not tough. Unhook the radiator hose, 2 bolts to remove the housing, pop old one out, clean surfaces, pop new one in (air bleeder hole toward the top), make sure rubber ring gasket is set, seal it back up. Plenty of youtube videos on it if you need a visual.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sounds good, appreciate the feedback.
If you decide to change thermostats,chuck the new one in a pot of water on the stove,and use a meat thermometer to check the temp it starts to open at,as you bring the water to a boil. These days you're more likely to get a "dud" new thermostat then you are to get a good one,so always check them

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s what my truck runs at almost year round with the 203* thermostat, completely normal