Deleting my 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just out of curiosity. How many are still deleting their trucks. This is my second cummins. I had a 2013 before this one, never deleted it, traded it in around 78K miles this last March for a 2018.

While its I've never had an issue with anything, my old truck started regen'ing a bit when I decided to trade it in for a newer one.

I want to keep my 18 Mega Cab for a long time. And I can register it in Montana, since where I live has testing. I'm not planning on getting anymore power out of it. It has plenty. I just want longevity out of the engine without the "stuff" screwing it up.

You who have done it. Is it worth it?

What tuner should I use. All I want to do is the exhaust system and leave all the other crap on, but disabled. So it looks equiped under the hood.

My truck for reference, I use it a lot offroad and for towing.

70723249_10156766653780028_3991471841574125568_o.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you are going to do it you better hurry (might be too late now). EPA has shut down several big name tuners in the past couple of weeks. They are on a witch hunt to shut them all down right now.

I've gone back and forth on tuning/deleting and at this point haven't convinced my self I need to do it. Plenty of high mileage emissions intact trucks running problem free out there and I still have some warranty left that I am not willing to throw away.
Like you I don't need more power so kind of resigned myself to leave it as is Unless I started to have problems with the emissions stuff then I would think about it more. I'm at about 55k miles on mine and zero issues with it so far. I don't think these newer trucks have near the emissions issues the earlier models did.

The dilemma now is that tuners are being shut down so do you buy a tuner now and hold it in case you have issues down the road? You might not be able to get one a year from now. The other issue is if you do get one now will you have support for it down the road? Hate to say it but I have seen more then my fair share of issues with tuners causing problems.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'll look up my list and post it here when I get home.

I deleted my 2017 due to regen failures that could not be sorted or solved by several dealers. After being stranded 14 miles North of NoWhere 3 times I was done with the stock DEF system and it's problematic functionality.

The results were better mileage, better driveability, no regen failures and 4 available tune packages that I can shift to on the fly depending on how I am using the truck at any given moment. I can run the truck easy or hard and it's a joy to drive.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My fear, with everything going like it is, is that I would spend all that money deleting and KY would start emission testing as soon as I did. Just seems like they are coming down hard on this issue lately.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
EPA has shut down several big name tuners in the past couple of weeks.

They've been on this witch hunt for awhile. They shut down BullyDog last year. It seems like more of a money grab...Waiting for them to get big enough to sue them for millions, which forces them into bankruptcy because there is nothing left.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So here's my list of mods 1) for the delete, and, 2) some transmission protection. This is not what you need to do but it is what I read as recommended mods to do.

Delete & Tune mods

Edge CTS-2 Insight monitor with Cummins unlock
13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge CSP4 tune package by PPEI / Kory Willis
13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge transmission tuning
Cummins tuning switch CSP4
EGR valve and cooler removal with block off plate
Throttle valve delete
Edge expandable EGT probe kit
Pillar pod mount for Edge CTS2

Transmission mods
BD Diesel 68RFE valve body plate kit
Mag Hytec deep transmission pan
ATS 68RFE transmission case support bracea

I had initially just straight piped the exhaust but it was too abusive to my ears. So I did the following exhaust mods and I like the results:

FloPro 4“ cat & DPF cannister delete pipe
4” – 6” black exhaust tip with rolled edge
Corsa 8004002 4” muffler – placed just downstream of down pipe

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So quick question. I got an MM3 tuner used. $300, I'll have to get it unlocked. it came with tunes on it.

Also got a 4" center exhaust section to delete the offending parts.

Can I leave the EGR crap on the engine unplugged? I will remove the throttle valve right away. Would that work for a few months. In case I'm too busy to get it all done.

Also it might start snowing soon, and my garage isn't big enough for my truck.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I deleted it. Just the exhaust crap.

Used an MM3 tuner.

Runs great. Doesn’t roll coal. I’m happy.

Proof is in the pudding seen here.

eaf46501d83177ec80f0571b2254a55c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I deleted it. Just the exhaust crap.

Used an MM3 tuner.

Runs great. Doesn’t roll coal. I’m happy.

Proof is in the pudding seen here.

eaf46501d83177ec80f0571b2254a55c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did RaceMe charge you to unlock it? Kinda sucks that a body would have to pay to have it unlocked every single time unlike the older tuners........................

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah $150 to unlock it. then $450 for tunes. And I paid about $250 for the tuner. So still way cheaper than buying a new one, then buying tunes on top of that.