Detailed Maintenance Schedule for a 2005 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ABlo22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got a 2005 ram 1500 5.7 hemi that just hit 120,000 miles. It was not exactly well maintained by the previous owners it’s seen enough Wisconsin winters to need repairs and part replacements here and there. I was wondering if anyone had a detailed schedule of what needs to be replaced by mileage or years for a ram? The ones I’ve found online are pretty basic and don’t cover everything I’m positive needs to be replaced. Thanks!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Ram schedule of service is a good one to follow. You can always do extra service if something seems off, some work may make sense based on use or misuse.
I am a big supporter of replacing belts, hoses, and timing chain/belt at about 125 to 150k miles especially if run in extreme environment or over a really long period of time. No reason, just to save me some hassle in the middle of nowhere at an inconvenient time. Other things I replace when they need it due to a known and verified problem, such as brakes, tires, wipers, and other things. Fluids I change at factory intervals when under normal use.

I wouldn't throw a ton of money into a vehicle unless you either have a ton and nothing to do with it, or you verified problems. Sometimes you can cause problems instead of preventing. I changed transmission oil one time because I thought it should be done (not in schedule at that time) and it slipped after like crazy. Took a while to screen out contaminates that had dislodged post change.

Good luck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
All major public libraries, have now gone online

Time to get a library card

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I’ve got a 2005 ram 1500 5.7 hemi that just hit 120,000 miles. It was not exactly well maintained by the previous owners it’s seen enough Wisconsin winters to need repairs and part replacements here and there. I was wondering if anyone had a detailed schedule of what needs to be replaced by mileage or years for a ram? The ones I’ve found online are pretty basic and don’t cover everything I’m positive needs to be replaced. Thanks!
If you can't confirm the previous maintenance, and assume you are keeping the vehicle, it is best to zero out all of the driveline fluids and filters. You'll get lots of opinions on the transmission fluid. Diffs and transfer case are no brainers IMO. In my 2003 V10 and the '15 6.4L I changed out the transmission filters and added a new pan to make future drain & fills easier. Also did the diff covers on both. Check your owners manual for spark plug change timing. Also check the serpentine belt, idler wheel, and adjuster. I usually change all 3 out at 75K miles. You probably have front suspension components that are worn as well at that mileage. I would zero everything out then follow the service manual recommendations for your driving style. I've had good luck with Castrol Edge High Mileage in older vehicles. Good luck.