Diesel Pre-heat Time of Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
It's that time of year again. Plug in the block heater or let the system activate "Diesel Preheat."

I'm interested to know how the "preheat" system works, technically. Seems to me that it is a tremendous drain on the batteries.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Two different heaters and two different functions. The block heater preheats the coolant and block.
The grid heater warms the combustion air and will still operate even if the block heater is used. The grid heaters will cycle on/off until the ECM determines the engine is warm enough.
The grid heaters pull somewhere about 200 amps, that's why the truck has dual batteries. They have the capacity to run the grid heaters until the alternator can recharge them.
I'm pretty sure all the +'14 Cummins trucks have the "Tip Start" option or Push Button start, no need to intentionally force the grid heater on before cranking the engine. The ECM will run the grid heater as needed to start the truck.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Two different heaters and two different functions. The block heater preheats the coolant and block.
The grid heater warms the combustion air and will still operate even if the block heater is used. The grid heaters will cycle on/off until the ECM determines the engine is warm enough.
The grid heaters pull somewhere about 200 amps, that's why the truck has dual batteries. They have the capacity to run the grid heaters until the alternator can recharge them.
I'm pretty sure all the +'14 Cummins trucks have the "Tip Start" option or Push Button start, no need to intentionally force the grid heater on before cranking the engine. The ECM will run the grid heater as needed to start the truck.
Thanks.

I like to use the block heater because when I do, the pre-heat does not activate. I feel that prevents wear and tear on the batteries.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Thanks.

I like to use the block heater because when I do, the pre-heat does not activate. I feel that prevents wear and tear on the batteries.
Exactly what I have been doing, this is my first year with the Cummins. If I use the block heater the truck starts right up, even on cold days. It hasn't gotten really cold here yet though. If I don't run the block heater, the truck delays start until the grid heater warms the air up.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Grid heater for me. We get a few cold days a year here in the NW Arkansas, but I only drive the truck every couple of weeks or so. Would be a waste of money to have the block heater plugged in all the time.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If it starts taking a while for the preheat to operate, then I'll look into finding my old timer system to run the block heater (started warming it up a few hours before I needed it, no need for it to run all night, that's just wasteful). Until then, I'm going to stick with just the grid heater.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I only plug in if it calls for temps below 25 degrees in the morning. I think the manual says you do not need to plug in until you hit the low teens. Make sure you use a timer of some sort because the heater uses 1000 watts. I set it to turn on 3 hours before I need to drive the truck.

However, on the very cold days where I forget to plug it in I have never had an issue starting.