Disable tailgate automatic lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It just cracks me up how I even see brand new vehicles here in the little bitty town I live in at the local Walmart who leave their windows rolled all the way down when they go inside the store...lol.

If I'm at the local gas-n-go, grocery store or fast food joint in my rural hamlet (pop. ~5000) I *might* leave the windows down in the summer... so long as the weather is nice and I'm not going to be in for more than 10mins. Really though I hate the thought of blazing sun baking my interior, so the tinted windows go up and the sunshades go in the windshield most every time I park, summer or winter. If I go into town to a big store the windows are definitely going to be up. I'm not looking to frustrate would-be thieves by locking the doors but I'm also not extending them an open invitation by leaving the windows down.

I guess it all comes from having cars broken into in the past where thieves did a considerable amount of damage but didn't get out with anything of value, because nothing valuable is in there. If you want to rummage around inside my truck please, open the door and do so... don't break the window or jimmy the lock.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I'm at the local gas-n-go, grocery store or fast food joint in my rural hamlet (pop. ~5000) I *might* leave the windows down in the summer... so long as the weather is nice and I'm not going to be in for more than 10mins. Really though I hate the thought of blazing sun baking my interior, so the tinted windows go up and the sunshades go in the windshield most every time I park, summer or winter. If I go into town to a big store the windows are definitely going to be up. I'm not looking to frustrate would-be thieves by locking the doors but I'm also not extending them an open invitation by leaving the windows down.

I guess it all comes from having cars broken into in the past where thieves did a considerable amount of damage but didn't get out with anything of value, because nothing valuable is in there. If you want to rummage around inside my truck please, open the door and do so... don't break the window or jimmy the lock.

But see, here’s the problem- leaving four doors unlocked is only an invitation for them to rummage through it indefinitely, no matter what- and politely- if they even realize the doors where unlocked beforehand. Not all criminals are smart. Lol.

I’ve yet to have a vehicle broken into but I’m certainly not gonna “make it easy” for them hoping that when they do, they’ll do it nicely. I can see it now, a sticker in the window that reads.. Dear mister robber: I have kindly left the doors unlocked so that you can easily gain entry without breaking nothing...lol. I dunno, that might work as a reverse deterrent as they may think it’s a trap. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It sucks to have your window busted out just so they can look through your crap, then you have to pay to get that fixed.
Really depends on where you are IMO to wether it will help to have it locked up or not.
locked door or not if they want in your truck they will just grab a rock or hammer and get in.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sucks to have your window busted out just so they can look through your crap, then you have to pay to get that fixed.
Really depends on where you are IMO to wether it will help to have it locked up or not.
locked door or not if they want in your truck they will just grab a rock or hammer and get in.

It would suck regardless, whether they took anything or not. Truth of the matter is, if someone wants your **** bad enough, or this case wants to see what all you got in there, they’ll get it one way or the other.

I’d just rather not make it easy for them. That, and I don’t think the insurance company would be too happy if they ever found out the vehicle wasn’t locked and secured. Well- then again, maybe they would be silently happy because then they would have an excuse to deny your claim...[emoji41]

But ya know, it’s all about personal preference. If you feel that secure where you live, then by all means, leave your doors unlocked if you want. I just choose not to.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That, and I don’t think the insurance company would be too happy if they ever found out the vehicle wasn’t locked and secured. Well- then again, maybe they would be silently happy because then they would have an excuse to deny your claim...[emoji41]

Unless a thief gets in and tries to rip your radio out of the dash or something similar any damage they do is going to be less than your deductible. And of course you never tell your insurance company you left it unlocked... LOL

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless a thief gets in and tries to rip your radio out of the dash or something similar any damage they do is going to be less than your deductible. And of course you never tell your insurance company you left it unlocked... LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of since these newer vehicles have such elaborate computers in them that track dang near everything that, if they ever suspected the car was left unlocked, they could probly pull a court order to see if it was- just to deny a claim.

But either way, I just don’t agree with the whole logic of making it easier for an unauthorized person to rummage through my vehicle, ‘nuff said.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, did this to my 2015 just now.
This tutorial will describe how to disable the automatic tailgate lock via the key fob and inside door controls on a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn. First I'll start with a list of annoyances/pro/cons.

Annoyances:
- Second lag (and noise) between locking main doors and tailgate
- Tailgate actuator locks/unlocks regardless of being already locked/unlocked
- Attempting to open the tailgate with something in the other hand yet the tailgate is locked because you are at The Home Depot

Pros
- Resolving annoyances
- Tailgate lock will not lock with inside door controls or fob

Cons
- Risk of tailgate theft

Tools required:
- #30 torx bit
- Zip ties

1) DO NOT remove the tailgate cap; it does not have to be removed contrary to my initial thoughts. If I didn't have a bedliner this would have been obvious.

1.jpg

2) Remove eight torx bolts holding down tailgate plate and bed liner if one is present.

2.jpg

4.jpg

3) Remove tailgate plate.

5.jpg

4) Make sure that tailgate is UNLOCKED.

6.jpg

5) Unplug actuator wiring harness and zip tie to unlock bar. Make sure to leave a little slack here because that bar does move about 1/2" when opening the tailgate.

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk