Dodge Ram Lamp Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopar969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to forum but have been lurking for some time now.

I have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 quad cab hemi only has 36000 on it. I am having the headlight lamp out issue that I have read on here before but mine is a little different.

When the issue first came up I replaced the 9007 pigtails on both sides even though the driver side was out. All light bulbs are fine. All worked drove it some then the passenger side went. So replaced both pigtails again and it worked for a while. Now it is acting up again. While working on it I noticed that while I am on the passenger side if I move the wiring near the firewall towards the cab the passenger light would go off and on. Is there a ground going or is there something that playing tricks with me.

I do not think that I need a new control box as the lights are on now but who knows for how long. My battery is a little older, could a not so great battery do this. The truck starts fine but the ammeter on the dash says it is on the lower end.

Lastly, do the headlights get really hot while in use? I just do not remember any of my other vehicles getting that hot. Maybe its just me.

If this is posted in the wrong thread I apologize I am just looking for help to get this resolved once and for all. Thanks for any help!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Early 3rd gen tails are known for going bad
On the back to the lights you will see a white circuit board that houses all three bulbs
The boards break or corode and start causing problems, usually the passenger side
You can get just the board, they arent very expensive either

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I found on my dad's truck that it was one of the blinkers that was intermittently going out. I ended up replacing both stop and blinkers on that side. Problem has been gone since.

OP
OP
M

mopar969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry everybody I should have been more specific. The issue is with my front headlights. Not the taillights they are fine.

Mojo75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
same here but mine seems to come and go. one minute its fine and the next the lamp is out and the LAMPOUT indicator dings and comes on lol