Dragging brakes help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syazoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been working on correcting a brake issue. My problem started a month ago when I was pulling a trailer. Load wasn't too big, total truck and load about 13,000lbs. Trailer had good brakes, I was running oem assist at 8.5.

My truck is a 2010 Ram 1500 Sport, 5.7, 3.92's. New rotors and pads January this year. About 4,000 miles on them before this problem showed itself.
Problem:
Brakes smelled like they are burning up, measured temp. Fronts were 950+- degree's, rear 450.
Periodically front end developed hard shake.
Unhooked load and truck felt like brakes were being applied as I drove. For example, at 30 mph I can take my foot off of the accelerator and the truck comes to a stop within about 10 seconds.
EAS BAS and traction control lights are on.

What I have done:
Replaced Front calipers and pads. Measured rotors and they are not warped at all.
Serviced rear calipers.
Flushed out all brake fluid. Did not (because I am not able to) flush abs controller.
Replaced front brake rubber lines.

I just got back from a road test. At first it felt good like brakes are releasing fine. The rotors did release/retract fine when I checked them with the truck up on jack stands. I drove on surface streets for about 5 minutes and then out on to the freeway. A hard shake began to develop in the steering and when I touched the brake pedal it felt like the wheels were either loose or severely bent rotors. After I slowed to surface street speed the shaking went away and brakes felt fine when I pressed the brake pedal, like they are perfectly straight. I measured the rotor temp. Fronts were high 600 and rear were high 300 degree's. My generic code reader does not read any code. I cannot get the ignition on three times to read codes. I tried measuring resistance in the wheel speed sensors. They all measured OL as though the circuit is totally open. I also disconnected the negative terminal for about 15 minutes to try reset errors. No success.

I just went to my truck which has not run for about an hour. I unplugged the brake booster. There was a lot ov vacuum build up. With the vacuum unplugged and the truck in neutral I was able to easily push the truck by hand. With the vacuum plugged in, I was not able to push the truck.

Does anyone have any clue as to what the H may be going on?

Last edited:

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any updates on this. Mine seem to be dragging as well.
Everything is free and replaced caliper
Still exvessive drag i feel
5 ftlb with pads loose to 25ft lbs after brakes have been applied and released
So basically 20 ft lbs of drag

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you have a friend that has a scan tool that has the ABS bleed function

There is a fair chance that as the rest of the system was purged or bled out, that ABS system got some air in one or more of the valves.

I know that may not fix the original issue
But you will start trouble shooting with known facts

Last edited: